Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It's moisture in the vents. I don't have that smell - I let it run on just fan for a while after I turn the AC off, maybe 2 minutes and it gets rid of any condensation left in the vents.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
RL331 said:
It's moisture in the vents. I don't have that smell - I let it run on just fan for a while after I turn the AC off, maybe 2 minutes and it gets rid of any condensation left in the vents.
^^That's about the only real solution... turn off your AC 1-2 mins before you reach your destination. Mold spores need water to grow -- drying out the ducts and condenser help prevent growth.

The bad news is that mold is hard to kill once it starts... Try your local autozone or such -- they may sell something you can spray in the AC intake vent (base of windshield, under the wipers) that is supposed kill everything growing in the system.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
PM once ran a piece on eliminating vent odors. I think they were suggesting Lysol spray as the mold and mildew killer to use in the ventilation intake. If you try it, use the disinfectant spray, not the tub & tile cleaner.

Don't forget to change the cabin air filter, they'll hold odor too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had black mold in my system, and the dealer used a product similar to the one mentioned here. It smelled MUCH worse than just musty and was physically makin us sick. The service manager, who used to work at a GM dealer said that this is a fairly common problem on new cars. It was covered under warranty even. They used a foam product--I forget the manuf--that completely covered the inside of the evap box and it killed it. The smell lingered for a close to a week, but is now gone.

I live in a pretty humid environment so that makes it more susceptible

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The filter for air which enters the passenger area is in the engine compatment, up near the windshield, next to the battery. It is beneath that plastic cover between the window and the hood gasket. Carefully pull the cover forward then up. You'll see the rectangular filter held down by clips.

THis air intake is the route to the evap box, the place where you would want to apply any disinfectants to kill mold and mildew. The evaporator is the cold a/c radiator thing that gets wet and drips water just like a window a/c unit. Cold + moist = mold.

Dont laught too hard about the dead animal joke. Mice can get in there too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
turtle
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing