Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it was extremely hot, so I thought id turn on the A/C, but when i did, nothing but warm air came out. I heard the fan engage, but no cool air comming out. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Steve C.

·
Registered
216 Posts
did you hear the compressor click ? sounds like a switch turning on.
If not you either have no freon or the clutch isn't engaging. :weirdo:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last year I had the same thing. I had a cracked condenser cause by some sort of road debris.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing

Hey man this same thing happened to me.

I went to the STEALERSHIP and they told me that it's NOT covered by my warranty. They said it was "road debris". They ran a pressure dye through the system and showed me where they tiny little crack was in my condenser. With parts and labor it would have cost me $1200 to fix. I talked to a few friends about what i should do and one had a great sugestion.

I took this stuff called JB Weld (pep boys) and patched up the hole in the condenser. This stuff, once dry, is like steel. So once the hole was fixed it was now time to fill the freon gass. Pep boys or Autozone has that stuff for 8 bucks a canester. And the filler hose is 10.

So once all said and done it cost me about $30 to fix my A/C problems. Works great still, one month later.

V

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gotta love the Stealership!! They quoted me something like 900 to replace the condenser. I got a new one online for $199 and had a "Non VW" mechanic replace it for $140.

Good deal, but I like your $30 fix better!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My AC was not working this spring. Blowing hot air only. Had to take it to the dealership 3 times before they fixed it. All it was was the stupid button. Lucky for me it was convered and I didnt pay anything to get it fixed. Just wish they could have fixed it the first time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
scox1235
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing