Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi guys/gals,

NEW POST IS UP!!! Post #10 covers miscellaneous mods that I've done over the years that I can't remember the exact chronology of but I didn't want them to slip through the cracks. As usual, for those that warrant it, I go into pretty exhaustive detail on not only why I chose the mods but why I DIDN'T choose some other options (based on technical details and explanations of how the systems these mods impact actually work, of course).

Lot's of pics too in this one too!

Hope I haven't lost you all over the many months I've been too busy to make any significant updates. Up until recently I was just going over the posts I already had and adding details I had missed, etc. I am aiming to have more regular updates this Summer!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I am REALLY enjoying your pics, narratives,and your professional job, WOW!!! what a sweet car!!!!! inspiring!!!!!! keep up the great work!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks chief, appreciate the encouragement! Glad somebody is enjoying it. I'll admit, considering I have this thing posted on here and on several different subforums of VWVortex (where it has a combined 6500 views), I'm surprised at how little conversation the thread is sparking. Perhaps it is the format, verbosity, and shear size. I figured it would be a bit off-putting and pretty much said as much in my intro section, but I didn't think it would be so intimidating that only a handful of people can appreciate it. There was a brief boom over on VWVortex when I started the thread last year but literally nothing since then :(

Nevertheless, I'm dedicated to seeing this thread through just like I am dedicated to seeing the car through so I'll keep the thread updated. I hope to have the next section out in the next couple weeks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey all,

NEW POST IS UP!!! Post #11 covers miscellaneous maintenance and troubleshooting/diagnosis I have done over the years, complete with plenty of detailed tips and also a couple sort-of DIYs guides.

I haven't been getting any feedback since I initially posted the thread last year which is kinda a bummer to be honest. Maybe my over-detailed style is even more of a turn-off than I thought it would be. But it's how I am and it's how I envision my build thread so I'm going to keep at it for myself and for whatever good it does for people who may glean some things from it.

Next up will be a post about some pretty major changes towards a much more track-oriented car. I expect to have that post done fairly soon!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Hey all,

TWO THINGS:

1) NEW POST IS UP! Post #12 covers a "definite turning point" for the car from what once a fairly 50/50 mix between a street friendly and track-capable car into one that is now more track-oriented, at the expense of some street manners, unfortunately. This section covers my rear suspension overhaul, wheel alignment specs and behaviors on street and track (in-depth), race pads and fluid, track tires, race density mounts, and a little more.

2) My track visits this year kept getting delayed due to mine and my track buddies schedule, but I did go to the track for a time-trials event at Thompson Speedway over July 6-7th finally.... and I got delayed again because literally on the way to the track I encountered an issue with my throttle body that kept putting my car into limp mode if I pushed full throttle. I did a lot of checks of the electrical/sensors and some data points with VCDS and have now come to the conclusion that the throttle body motors or plate itself are malfunctioning.

Although it is against my better judgement, due to mixed reviews and some personal doubts I have based on my own knowledge of tuning parameters, I am going to give the Grams Performance 70mm throttle body a try. More now my motivation is that it is much more robust than the cheap factory unit which uses a primarily plastic-backed throttle plate and also that the Grams throttle body purportedly gives much quicker throttle input/response making it easier to modulate partial throttle which could come in handy at the track, as well as being overall more rewarding to drive. However, despite being advertised as "plug-n-play", I strongly suspect it will likely require a tune adjustment for everything to work properly together since a given percentage of throttle plate open on the Grams does not remotely translate to the same throttle valve angle as the factory throttle body, therefore does not translate to the same amount of intake air. But that remains to be seen, I will make a post on that when I get around to installing and log some data, particularly around air intake and fuel trims.

Curiously, the throttle body failure which caused me to miss the track events may have been a blessing in disguise because as it turns out this happened not long after:

That mount must have been very weak around the time I was heading to the track because I did not hit any remotely significant bumps or holes to cause that to happen. Not anytime in the near past. So whatever happened had happened some time before and the mount was just barely hanging on. The bushing then rather randomly and unexpectedly blew through the mount the next day. I only knew after the fact because, not surprisingly, it started making some crazy noises over bumps and the back-end wanted to wander over bumps as well. Had this happened at the track during cornering the results could have been dangerous.

Thankfully after I inspected all visible parts of the suspension and concluded everything was good I pretty much immediately suspected the shock mount because it has a pretty tell-tale sound if you've heard what failed shock mounts sound like before. I pretty much knew the first time I heard it that it was either that or sway bar clunk, which I ruled out quickly. Got the mount replaced but still wasn't able to solve the throttle body issue in time for the track events. So, alas, it won't be until August sometime that I get to a track day it seems...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
NEW POST IS UP!

Post #14 covers my feedback on the Grams Performance 70mm throttle body and significantly DETAILED information on ECU air/fuel ratio calculations and strategies that pertain to the subject of throttle body upgrades.

You may notice in the pics of the Grams TB installed on the car, that I teased something that will be coming in my next major post (part of the big turbo post I've been taking forever to get around to). See if you can spot it.

ALSO, I added a whole new section to post #1... the "What's Next?" section which includes my tentative (and probably very optimistic) plan of mods that I would like to do at some point in the future. Plenty of them will probably never happen, especially the aesthetic ones since I'm hands-down about function rather than form. However, some of them will be eventual necessities (like the engine internal upgrades and some of the transmission upgrades).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
strut mount, any forensics as to failure?
Yeah that was the rear shock mount (passenger side). I don't think any particular thing killed it because I didn't hit any particularly large bumps or anything. There was a few miles of pretty rough road on my way up to CT while passing through NY though and I think that was probably what took an already weakening mount to the edge. After that I don't think it took much for the bushing to blow through the top. So it was probably a slow death that just came at an untimely time. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any upgraded, more robust shock mounts for the rear shocks so it may just be that I have to replace them every few years with my stiffer setup. I'm sure the stiffness up my setup transfers more strain to the mounts so they are doing more than they were designed from the factory.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
from my experience (not in the case of the (your) shock ) if there is any play in mechanical physical applications (slop) the type of failure that occured (die cast failure I presume) has a good chance of happening, potentially that had a stress crack previous to your ownership.....thanks for reply

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That mount was installed 3 years ago by myself. I do agree it probably had a stress crack for awhile and something finally did it in. The timing was pretty shitty lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Chief have you figured out how to edit an existing post on this new forum layout? I'm trying to update my build thread and for the life of me I can't figure out how to edit my previous posts!

Edit: Well, I answered my own question, which was part of the reason I posted this in the first place... I was afraid that maybe only very recent posts could be edited and I just confirmed that. Even my most recent reply to you 2 months ago can't be edited. They don't want to hold that data in a database somewhere for much time at all it seems.

In that case I'm going to have to consider this thread dead because it is going to drive me utterly insane if I can't update the mod list on the very first post to reflect changes to my build. I do not want to have multiple mod lists posted throughout just to reflect changes periodically. It would be redundant, disorganized, and would annoy me too much.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL READERS:

THE RECENT CHANGES TO THIS FORUM NO LONGER ALLOW USERS TO EDIT POSTS THAT ARE MORE THAN A FEW DAYS OLD. AS A RESULT I CAN NO LONGER ORGANIZE AND UPDATE MY BUILD THREAD THE WAY I WOULD LIKE TO AND SO I AM CONSIDERING THE THREAD ON THIS PARTICULAR FORUM TO BE DEAD. PLEASE REFERENCE THE UP-TO-DATE BUILD THREAD IN THE VWVORTEX B6 PASSAT SECTION WITH THE BELOW LINK:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts