Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '01 variant just clicked over to 70k miles. I was feeling very nervous about continuing to drive on the original timing belt and tensioner. Also, there were a couple oil leaks, a yucky PCV system, and various other typical B5 1.8T "issues."

Long story short, I spent the weekend fixing or replacing everything that had been bothering me. I would not have done so if not for the confidence given to me by reading all the posts here discussing the timing belt change, tiptronic flush and fill, PCV woes, etc. The timing belt was time-consuming, yet deceivingly simple. The tranny fluid, gasket and filter change the same. I also cleaned the throttle body and replaced its gasket. And a week ago replaced the last of the worn or destroyed PCV components. The car runs great and leaves not one drop of fluid on my garage floor!

In an attempt to give back to the PWW community, in the next couple days I will be posting the part numbers of all the parts I replaced. The only thing better than having a helpful board like PW (and a Bentley manual) is a list of part #s all in one place to refer to when ordering parts or performing the actual work.

Thanks to all who have posted about these and other topics and to those who have bothered to asnwer the few questions I've asked about my B5. I know my Passat will now have a fantastic and healthy 2007. I hope you do the same :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
hear hear! :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
I need to do my tip tranny.....hope you have time soon to list what I'll need and how to.

Good jobby job kiddo

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Congrats on doing what I'd consider some serious maintenance! Hope the car treats you well!

Was the PCV system hard? I just had mine done, but I'm planning for the next 70k =)

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
What is your engine?

I have a 2001.5 AWM. If you have the same engine I may do my own timing belt since yours was easy.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
What is your engine?

I have a 2001.5 AWM. If you have the same engine I may do my own timing belt since yours was easy.
From what i get from his post, he has a B5, so he wont have an AWM.

Me and another PW member did my timing belt/ac belt/accessory belt/tensioner/thermostat/coolant flush on my AWM in one afternoon. He took our time and took care of a few other things (added distilled water to battery, regapped spark plugs, ect). my point is that it is wasnt incredibly hard. it is about a 6 hour job.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Christian P--
I have an AUG (water pump driven by timing belt). The timing belt was "easy" in a sense because I had read through the procedure several times before starting the work. It's also very straightforward once you spend the time getting the lock carrier out of the way and get a good look at the front of the engine. I was a freak about making white out marks on everything and keeping it all clean and easy to see, so keeping it all in place was a cinch. The thought of me forking over hundreds if not thousands of dollars to a mechanic if something went wrong and I damaged my engine was more than enough incentive for me to take my time and do everything by the book.

macaddict--
PCV isn't bad at all. Like seemingly everything else on this car, it just happens to be a LOT of stuff. The write-ups and how-tos on this site are invaluable. I cannot stress enough the importance of inspecting/replacing that awful breather hose on the 1.8T. It was the single worst oil leak the car has ever had and the major source of the engine/oil smell coming through to the cabin.

kidvdub--
The transmission was much easier than I anticipated. The filter and gasket kit had been sitting in my garage forever. After taking care of the rotten PCV hoses, valves, etc., I thought I had my oil leaks under control. Yet, I STILL had what I assumed to be an oil leak! Scary thing was, it was tranny fluid, NOT oil. No idea how long it had been leaking or what, if any, damage was done to the tranny itself. All I know is, its shifts are now crisp and I no longer hear strange noises when in reverse. Oh, and VW must be joking when they say that transmission service is unnecessary because it has lifetime fluid from the factory. The jet black gunk that flowed out of mine and the gross, gummed up filter was proof enough that this type of service should probably be performed every 60-70k miles.

I'll do what I can to get my own DIY for the tranny service up in the next couple days. I'm worn out from all the work on the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts