Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 v6 runs and drives fine, it shifts well but when I am in 3rd gear, it cruises fine, but if you push forward a bit on the stick when in third, it has a shake or shimmy like it is rubbing on something, no sound, but you can feel it in the shifter. Also, when shifting if I let the clutch out quickly between gears there is a bit of a clunk when the clutch engages, not loud or bad sounding, just feels like it should be tighter. The clutch seems to be just fine though, engages midway up on the pedal.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Don't "push" on the stick when you're running in gear. Shift completely into gear then let the stick find its own position. Pushing forward on the stick from the "in gear" position makes the fork try to push the gear further up the shaft and it can't go any further.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically just don't mess with it and it should be fine? I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad sign of things to come.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
If it only does this when you try to push the stick further than it wants to go, and doesn't do it if you just let the stick be where it wants to be, then yes, it should be fine.

(and don't ride the clutch either! :p:lol::))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts