Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1.8t and the temp gauge is usually at 190. Now since it got really cold it doesn’t even make it half way to 190. I still have heat in the car. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
No. Your coolant temperature sensor or your thermostat may be bad. The sensor failure is a common problem. It's a DIY and about $25 or so depending on model. IIRC, there are writeups on changing the sensor either in the info forum or just do a search. Thermostat failure is not that common so since you still have adequate heat, then I'd change the sensor first. FYI, the temp guage has a deadband in it such that when the coolant is between about 167*F and 225*F the gauge will read a rock sold 190.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
sorry for the quick bump. Haven't started the car yet. Would like to know if this is normal first.
i think it moves, start it and see if it leaks.
make sure you get a new O ring and the old one comes out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It moves around until you put back the clip back that holds it in place. Without the clip, the pressure will blow the sensor out.

It looks like a "C" clip that slides into place, locks - and keeps the sensor where it belongs.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I bought a temp sensor a while back and I can't find the darn thing anywhere. I can't remember where I bought it from :confused: My post is too old to search for from when I first asked about it. Where can I buy one? I remember it was fairly inexpensive. The part was probably $15 or so.

Thanks

EDIT:

Nevermind, I found the receipt. I got it from ECS Tuning....It cost $5.95 with $7.95 shipping :icon_eek: That was in July 2005

Now they cost $19.95 :Yikes:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...en&model=Passat+B5&submodel=FWD&engine=V6+30v

1 - 10 of 10 Posts