Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my doors locking by themselves and the parking lights flashing !
When I went out this morning my parking lights were flashing with no apparent rhythm and would not stop. The only key I have is a vallet key. When I put my key in the lock and unlocked all doors, the locks immediately locked again, and the parking lights continued to flash. Here is some information that could help determine the cause.
1) I bought the car a few months ago, the drivers door lock turns very easy without any resistance and does not lock or unlock anything.
2) All interior lights and puddle lights turn on when doors are opened except when the left rear door is opened, (no lights turn on with this door opened).
3) One morning the trunk lid would not latch closed.
4) Parking lights flash without any rhythm or predictability, they flash similar to locking or unlocking.
5) Passengers side door lock works correctly to open single door or all doors and opens and closes all Windows.
6) When door or doors are unlocked with vallet key, car automatically relocks in one to two seconds, (before the key can even be removed or the door opened )
7) While driving all locks automatically lock and lights continue to flash. Push unlock button several times and all doors immediately relock, after many attempts to keep doors unlocked, they stayed unlocked and parking lights stopped flashing. Once parked and left unlocked car automatically locked and lights began to once again flash at random...

Please help... If anyone has any thoughts on the cause and where to start on a repair, please let me know...

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Get it scanned (engine and CCM) with VCDS or other VAG scanner and post the codes.

Do some searching on "Water ingress", "CCM", and "Door locks"

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
I bet one of your doors is sending the signal to lock all doors. And the rest of the car is responding like it's supposed to do, by locking all the doors. The lights are flashing because your car is programmed to flash-on-lock and whatever is sending the lock signal, keeps sending it. Your drivers door is the most likely but it could be the passenger door.

A scan tool capable of interrogating the CCM would be great. You could also pull back the bellows hiding the wiring harnesses in the door jam and unplug the doors. If you unplug a door and the problem persists, that door isn't the problem. If you unplug a door and the problem stops, you know your problem is in that door.

Inside the door it could be the door locking switch or the latching mechanism sending the spurious signals. passat door latch repair - Google Search

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the suggestions, I think it is one of the front door lock mechanisms... I will replace the drivers first so I have another way to unlock the car just in case the passengers side quits completely... Then I will replace the passengers side.... I will post my progress and thanks again...

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've had weird door lock issues for years on my Passat but just haven't found the time to open up the driver's door to check the locking mechanism. I have to leave the driver's window down while warming up the car on cold days because the doors will be locked when I try to get back into the car. As for the trunk lid not latching, it sounds like the release handle got stuck open (happens to me all the time). Spray some lubricant on the handle pivot points and it should allow it to release. The trunk won't latch unless the handle is in the normal position. I sometimes have to manually move the handle to get the trunk to latch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
door switch problems

I have just repaired my front left door lock mechanism. I would think that the problem is the door lock switch in the door. On my car, the foot light did not light up nor did the chimes ring when you opened the door and key was in the ignition. This problem does not indicate in VCDS. If the door lock controller is bad, this will show up in VCDS codes. However, the switch that goes bad has no code indication attached to it. Therefore, if the light on the door is dead, and the chimes do not work, but you do not get any door controller codes, then I would think the door switch is bad. I got one that works from a junker. BTW, I would get a left rear door lock mechanism as a replacement on the assumption that the left rear door has been opened about 10% of the cycles of the front door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Some more info: It could be possible that you will get a door light and chimes and the switch is still bad. There is a great Youtube video that gives information on cleaning the switch. IN my case the switch was trashed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts