Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I am sure this has been talked about alot in the past but I could not find any 2013 threads so I have had my passat for a few years and it has spent most of its time sitting I just installed a new engine and tranny and drove it home and when I pulled in I saw smoke at first I was hoping it was just oil and greese burning off but ofcourse not I poped the hood and could see lil red ambers in the heat shield around the cat then found more under car I was able to get it all to stop smoking then ofcourse hit the internet to see if this a common problem and thats when I learned about the recall

Is recall still active

Now I know I need to call the dealer and have them run my vin but I was hoping to go into it with as much knowledge as possible

Does the fact the engine and tranny have been replaced matter

Heat shield is a little beat up due to age engine tranny swap and I just had a metal broom handle bending it all around trying to spray water inside all layers

If I am not covered on recall is there any danger in just removing it and or something I should replace it with

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Picture of this heat shield--I have two AEBs but I can't picture what you are talking about.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,180 Posts
It's been a couple of years since I've heard anyone mention it, but manufacturers tend to be proactive about situations where their product catches fire. Certainly call the dealer, but in the meantime VW has an online checker HERE.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
What's getting so hot that it makes a heat-shield smolder? Pictures would help.

I don't think removing the heat shield is a good idea. Whatever is being protected by the shield will then be directly exposed to that heat.

Misfiring or overly rich mixtures can cause the CAT to operate at extremely high temperatures. Your problem my have nothing to do with the shield. Is the check engine light on? How is the car running now?

I'd call the shop that did the work and tell them what the car is doing. I'm sure they don't want your car to catch on fire the day after you picked it up from an engine/trans swap. Imagine the liability in that scenario. The problem only began immediately after the engine/trans swap. Chances are the problem is related to that work and not a factory design flaw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I installed the engine now I will admit I am not a trained mechanic but I do have a full 5 bay shop and been working on cars my whole life after the engine install I discovered the torc converter did not set properly and it took out my front pump and I got very disgusted and did not want to loose any more money so I paid a friend who is a tranny guy by trade to do the new tranny install

There is no check engine and seems to b running great besides the fire

There was a piece of the heat shield crumpled up a little and resting on the catalytic converter that had the glowing ambers and smoke and also right under car above flex pipe was burning I will get pics later when I get it on the lift

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah... this is NOT a common issue. I've got an AEB that, even when driven hard, doesn't catch heat shields on fire :icon_eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,103 Posts
The recall only involved putting a heat shield sleeve on an oil line as I remember. My memory may be wrong though.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Newbie84,

What you really need is to find someone who has a '99 1.8T with a Tiptronic trans and all heat shields on the passengers side of the engine compartment properly installed. No disrespect to whomever has wrenched on your car, but someone, at some point, removed a heat shield/plastic cover and did not properly reinstall it.

If you don't put all heat shields/covers back as they were installed at the factory, your car is at fire risk until you do. (Even Thanassi's 1.8T caught fire from a stray rag long ago...it doesn't take much)

Maybe someone reading this will post a photo; my car has a MT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys sorry bout the delay but I got it all taken care of I called my local vw dealer who ran my vin and said my car was never updated since the recall was put in motion so I was able to schedule a appointment for the same day I took it in and they replaced the entire heat shield around the catalytic converter and piece going under car all work was 100% free and took them about 4 hours to get parts delivered and install them only thing I was warned about was if I had replaced my flex pipe with a solid pipe which I did not but if I did they said they would have to cut it and would not be responsible for sealing it back up

I have done most of all labor on this car and yes I wont lie I bent the hell out of the heatshield a bunch of times replacing parts but the condition it was in did not matter at all to the vw dealer

They said there was four potential recalls my car may of gotten

Heat shield
Certain fuel lines
Fuel tank
And a update to the ecu

I only need the heatshield though I guess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts