Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I have a 99 B5 V6 Passat and it has (to say the least) a few bugs. But I'm not sure what it is. When I got the car it didn't start at all I soon noticed the starter was bad and changed it and the car ran fine. Now a few months later after the rebuilt starter was put in I noticed when I start it the connection is poor at best. Sometimes it starts perfectly and sometimes it just makes a click noise and I would have retry until it starts (around 10-20 times) aside from just the starter being bad the oil consumption is off the charts I only use synthetic and always keep an eye for leaks but nothing it doesn't leak I worried where this oil is going exactly. Also the tranny mount is also whack. Not sure if this a normal thing with Passats but that is the least of my problems if the car won't start properly. To add on top of all those problems the airbag light is on and I plan on getting the computer reset and seeing if that would fix that problem but I'm not so sure about it. So I'm really confused weather I should waste a ton of cash on it to fix the problems or just sell it and look for a different car.

·
Registered
28,689 Posts
It sounds like the battery or ground connections have corrosion, rust or are loose. That would give intermittent bad starts that seem like a bad battery. If it did not click or react to the key being turned, it would probably be the ignition switch.

Check your coolant tank for oil contamination. If it looks like a chocolate shake, the oil cooler has failed. If it is clean, the car is probably burning the oil. How much does it use?

A trans mount is cheap and easy to fix.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Oil consumption is pretty common in the V6. You're using synthetic? What weight? Synthetic is not required in the V6 (I only use dino oil myself). Check to see if your PCV breather hoses are clogged up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like the battery or ground connections have corrosion, rust or are loose. That would give intermittent bad starts that seem like a bad battery. If it did not click or react to the key being turned, it would probably be the ignition switch.

I already changed the battery assuming it was bad but no luck it still has an iffy start process. When I turn the key in the ignition it just clicks once and I'm unable to move it in any position other than off again to retry and start it. After 10-30 times of trying to start it the car does give me a tiny sputter of it starting and if it doesn't start then it starts very shortly after that happens. But other than that as soon as I turn the key from accessories to on it just clicks once. As of right now it runs fine just a matter of this starting problem.

Thanks for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts