Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was handed down a Passat. Shes got 267k highway miles and was loud asf when i started her up. Other than obvious exhaust problems (flex pipe)
I was told my power steering pump could have a hand in making so much noise. I drove her about 5hrs for school without incident except for some ridiculous electrical problems:crazy:. I did an oil change yesterday and while coming home as i put her in 1st gear she lost steering power and stalled out on me. Also the check engine light came on hence why i changed the oil which was black as night. What should i do here? i know im going to have to scan but im not familiar with passat codes...or anything past a mark 1 lol or diesel. Should i flush the power steering fluid? should i go find a new pump (have a salvage yard with 2 available for 17$ :lol: I will check back with codes after i scan her.. any information or ideas that could help would be much appreciated! peace:wrench::salute:

·
Registered
275 Posts
With something that tired I would go as cheap as I could to keep it safely on the road. Used parts are fine in my book. Get codes read (nothing is really specific to Passat) and start with what is know to need attention. Then go fixing things as needed. A good amount of fluid will be replaced with the pump replacement, flush out as much as you can there. Find out from who handed this gem to you as what had been done, which sounds like not much. There are LOTS of things that could be done, but I might just fix what is needed and drive it as is. my 2 sense.
TomK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tom lol yaa well the mexican whom drove it from FLA to NJ added up these miles..i just found a small tube that went underneath my throttle body n was split..i jammed her back up in the port she fell outta n wow no stalling and she was running okay lol not amazing but alright..im hoping to limp home in limp mode with this fix..thanks for the comment anyway..i know what i need to do but first i need to go home

1 - 3 of 3 Posts