Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the alarm on my '99 B5 is hardly audible.. when i hit the panic button or intentionally set off the alarm there is a buzz that goes off (sounds like it's located near the trunk) it's audible, but wouldn't wake anyone up in the middle of the night.

so my question is: should the buzz be louder, or is the the Horn supposed be honking at the same time? if so how would i go about fixing this... I am not the original owner so it is possible that the first owner changed it intentionally..

thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the horn works fine otherwise... it just doesn't go off with the alarm ...

but since i'm not the first owner and it's always been quiet, i'm not even sure if it is supposed to, i just get the trunk buzzer sound..

when i lock the car with the fob i do get a quick honk ...

also i'm in sunny San Diego.. it's never THAT cold :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
On my '99 it sounds medium loud and yes you should have tw signals, one from horn other is comming from alarm horn in trunk space-at least I have 2 of them and both work togeather. they do sound half as loud as aftermarket systems.
In S.Diego is not even cold not to speak THAT VERY COLD. As far as I know you can have problem of melting during summer not freezing during winter. :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, ok.. so now i need to find out if something is broken, or if the 1st owner just reprogrammed it.. and how i can undo that fix...

and yea.. SD is hardly cold.. or very hot... it's pretty much 60-80 degrees year round... although you do get a few spikes and dips... no complaints here.. (except for the ever increasing traffic... we're getting close to LA's notoriety)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, the horn is not a loud one to begin with, and it is mounted in the trunk, so that is most of what you are experiencing. It can also be frozen.

I moved mine out of the trunk and behind the bumper under the left taillight. Helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone know if this sort of information be in the bentley book?

and would it matter that the stereo isn't the stock one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
VW2003
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing