Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we took in a 1999 2.7l audi a6 Quattro wagon (avant) on trade at the dealership i work at. the car has 105,000 on it, and the used car dept. offered it to me for only 4,000.00. the book value on this car is still over 10,000 in kelly blue book, so i think i should jump on it and sell my '01 1.8 passat sedan (the passat is up to 109K, but i have done the timing belt, water pump,etc.). since my family will be growing next month, we could use the room in the wagon, plus the all wheel drive is great in the crappy winters we get in ny. one thing i noticed though is the car has rear facing seatbelts and some recievers in the floor for a rear facing seat (i think), but there is no seat. are these add on accesories or did they come with all wagons? also i noticed the left front control arm is rattling like a SOB, so i will have to replace that. Wasnt there a recall on the control arms on B5 chassis cars? can i get this done for free?
what do you guys think? a good deal? anybody wanna buy my black '01 passat?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
You have an extra $10k sitting around for the "what if" situation on the 2.7tt? If you have budgeted some garage time, then go for it. If you don't know anything about the twin turbo motor I'd go to audiworld and do a little research and see if you're up for it. Good luck and post pics if you decide to buy!

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,694 Posts
IMHO you are taking a step backwards. If the Audi had 45K miles then matbe OK. Right now you would be better off just trading in your current Passat for an '05 Passat wagon. There are tons of them out there, the interest rates are good, and you get a 4yr warranty.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i do believe the rear seat was an option. probably a rare one, hence the missing seat. (or perhaps they got another avant?) i believe it's an option with the allroad as well, so you may be able to still locate it on the audi forums or ebay. as for the question of smart move, seems fairly lateral. sure the 2.7tt is a great car, but they're very maintenance intensive. better chance for turbo survival in A6 than the S4, but still worth checking into if possible before the sale.
i think the A6 is considered the C platform, but i'm not sure. never the less, a very modable car. hopefully it's been maintained a bit or you'll be sowwy ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didnt even realize this thing was turbo! i just figured it was naturally aspirated, my knowledge of vw/audi stuff is pretty bleak beyond the 1.8T

you guys are scaring me though with your assumptions of turbo failures! and yeah, i already looked underneath and it leaks oil just like any audi product would. i hate that.

we do alot of roadtrips to cleveland ohio to visit my wifes family, and sometimes its in the winter, which the quattro would be great for, and i've noticed on the last few trips that my steering rack in the passat is a little "fishy" the car doesnt track like it should, there is a dead spot in the middle, i wasnt in the mood to replace the rack, or pay the ridiculous price to get one, so i though getting a whole car would be easier (!)
and as bad as you guys say the 2.7 is, i've heard just as many horror stories about the 1.8T and mine has been fine, so who knows

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Congrats on growing the family!

The real question (other than garage time and proposed/suspected maintenance issues) is what do you want to get out of this car. If you plunk down $4k and the car dies in a year, you probably shouldn't be upset about it ...but then you'll be searching for another car right away.

However, $4k is impossible to beat for a family hauler of that quality. (Did you really say that this is the vaunted, problematic and amazing 2.7L twin turbo V6? Damn.)

If you dump in $6k ($4k purchase and $2k misc maintenance) and the cars explodes in 12 months, that's $500 a month. If you don't mind that, go for it. Otherwise, walk away.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my bad, guys.
i just went outside to look at the car, its a 2.8, not 2.7!
im braindead. But anyway, i started it up and it ran like crap for a little bit then cleared up. wonder what thats about. and does anybody know if the center info display in the inst. cluster has replaceable bulbs? cause this one has a few dim spots
just trying to figure out how much it'll cost to get this thing right if i do buy it

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Oh its a 2.8, well great news! ITS AN AWESOME CAR!!! :lol:

Might want to see service records especially timing belt replacement. How many miles?

Thats my unbiased opinion :angel:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
2.8 = much easier maintenance and lower death rate. 4k is a steal. i say go for it :)
didn't mean to piss in your oatmeal either way, but you know we like to be realistic on this site. there's plenty of folks on here with 200k+ miles on their 2.8 V6.

i can't believe no one has said this yet..pics please :)

and perhaps, if you buy it and change your mind, you could make a little cash on the deal too ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
traubenberg said:
Walk away.
well i ran it the other day before the temp. dropped and the snow came and it was fine. its running fine now, with no check eng. light.

anybody know about those clusters? it looks more like it has missing pixels than burnt bulbs, and here at bmw we have the same problem with 5 and 7 series clusters, and i heard there was a class action suit against them which got all the customers free cluter replacements. wonder if the same company built the clusters for audi

·
Rollin in the LAV
1,760 Posts
If it had the 2.7tt, I'd walk away, but since it has the 2.8, I'd buy buy buy!!!! If it's leaking oil, you might need to replace some seals, and if the timing belt hasn't been changed, I'd do that ASAP. I have the 2.8 in my '02 Passat 4Motion and have no complaints. Anyone care to chime in about the oil leakage? Cam seals and tensioner gasket?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've checked into the display replacement and it's about a $700 fix. You have to replace the entire instrument cluster. Lots of owners with complaints regarding that. I'd personally wait, and get something a little newer if you can. With a 99, you're still going to run into the control arm issues. 2001+ have the updated CA design. We have a 01 A6 2.8, and it's been great. Granted, it only had 7K miles when we bought it, but it's been pretty maintenance free, and I love it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fluid said:
I've checked into the display replacement and it's about a $700 fix. You have to replace the entire instrument cluster. Lots of owners with complaints regarding that. I'd personally wait, and get something a little newer if you can. With a 99, you're still going to run into the control arm issues. 2001+ have the updated CA design. We have a 01 A6 2.8, and it's been great. Granted, it only had 7K miles when we bought it, but it's been pretty maintenance free, and I love it.
But when i go to get new arms wont they be the upddated versions?

another A6 just came in with a 2.7T and its an allroad, i think an '04. looks really nice, but i dont know the price.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
AllRoads are awesome with the adjustable airbag suspension but I'm betting its pretty pricey being around 30k if it has average miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts