Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 1.8T With Auto/Triptronic, what can i do so that i can hear my blow off valve?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You may not want to do that. Hearing the blow-off comes from a valve that blows off some of the bypass pressure into the atmoshere. Our cars are designed for a closed loop on the turbo bypass system instead of blow-off into the atmoshere. Seems that others have had problems with what you want to do.

·
Registered
897 Posts
gofastbits hybred diverter valve is the best of both worlds. that way you still get preformance and the sweet sound of a blow off valve. i have had mine for about a year with not one problem. :thumbup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Alternatively, there's always the Bailey and Forge valves. Had my Bailey installed 4 years back and no problems whatsoever. If I had continued to use the original plastic valves, I would have gone through at least 4 by now :D

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
You may not want to do that. Hearing the blow-off comes from a valve that blows off some of the bypass pressure into the atmoshere. Our cars are designed for a closed loop on the turbo bypass system instead of blow-off into the atmoshere. Seems that others have had problems with what you want to do.
I have a GFB hybrid adjustable blow off , never had a problem.

You wanna listen to it .

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze43twa/sounds/bov.wav

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
991.8t said:
gofastbits hybred diverter valve is the best of both worlds. that way you still get preformance and the sweet sound of a blow off valve. i have had mine for about a year with not one problem. :thumbup:
Where can I get a gofastbits hybred diverter valve ?

·
Registered
615 Posts
the_dread said:
Actually, since he has an older AEB engine, he may not have any problem running a true blow-off valve. I've been running an atmospheric vent BOV for a few months now, no noticeable drop in performance, and more importantly, no codes. I'm not alone, either. There were some older members, back in the first two ages of the ClubB5 forums, that ran BOVs with no issues whatsoever.
The older engines don't seem to care as much about the slight disparity between the amount of air it thinks it's getting, and the amount it actually is recieving. If he was driving a newer car, especially with a DriveByWire engine, then there would definitely be some issues and some blinking lights.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Campy said:
Actually, since he has an older AEB engine, he may not have any problem running a true blow-off valve. I've been running an atmospheric vent BOV for a few months now, no noticeable drop in performance, and more importantly, no codes. I'm not alone, either. There were some older members, back in the first two ages of the ClubB5 forums, that ran BOVs with no issues whatsoever.
The older engines don't seem to care as much about the slight disparity between the amount of air it thinks it's getting, and the amount it actually is recieving. If he was driving a newer car, especially with a DriveByWire engine, then there would definitely be some issues and some blinking lights.
Well whats the worse that can happen? I get a few check engine lights and my dash lights up like a christmas tree. I'll clear the codes and sell the BOV on ebay. If its all Kosher and works as planned then we are good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
quailallstar
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing