Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post. I searched these codes and got some good info, but wanted to ask a specific question. This is primarily my wife's car and am going by her descriptions of how it drove and behaved. She was out and about last week and said that the car was shuddering and bucking a bit, seemed like it was losing power.

I pulled the codes and search told me that p1136 was a vacuum leak and that I would need to replace the lines. Preferably with silicone 3.5mm id line. I can do that. Do I need 12' and do I need that all on one spool so that I can cut to fit?

The other code is P0302 - #2 cylinder misfire. Does this mean coil packs and an ignition module? Please point me in the direction of a good source for parts and who/what to avoid.

Any help on how to tackle the job would be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I've got a '99 1.8T wagon also, and keep a spare Ignition Control Module and a coil just in case. Autohausaz.com sells one ICM for as low as $38. In the mean-time, why not swap that #2 coil with another and see if the misfire follows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Game plan:

Found the source of the vacuum leak. The line that runs across the front of the engine is nearly completely severed where it plugs into the intake manifold. That would explain the rough running. Picked up a mess of hose at the parts store on the way home from work yesterday. I'll probably get into that tomorrow. Getting at that one use clip down near that hockey puck looking valve under the airbox looks like a challenge.

I'm just going to replace the ICM. Sixteen year old car with 130k-ish miles....its time. It was throwing intermittent codes before the vacuum leak. Further research has led me to the conclusion that the #2 misfire means that the whole module is on its last legs. If I need to do coil packs, That can come at a later date.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
The AEB only has 2 vacuum hoses and one of his is torn. Nice simple motor compared to the AWM.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wish I had replaced my ICM before it failed. It's real expensive when the dealer is the only option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts