Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 v6 passat that will not start. It cranks over fine but does not start. Also the headlights and radio work. Any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If lights are on and it cranks, its not the starter and the shouldn't be the battery. I would start looking at the spark plugs and check their condition. i am thinking its ignition related. I'll check my manual when I get home from work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be great if you could look in the manual.

One thing that I forgot to mention. Yesterday before I went in for the night I turned the car on for a second and then turned it off. It was on for a total of maybe 10 seconds. Then in the morning is would not start. I have read that these cars do not like to be on for only a short period of time like that. Would that contribute to the non-start issue?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If thats the case then what I would do is turn the ignition on for a minute to allow the ecu and throttle body to adapt and then start the engine and see if it fires up. Maybe if you're in a cold climate its freezing something up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the battery and spark plugs and that did not do anything. The plugs looked a little black with some wetness towards the center... Anyway I am getting it towed to a shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What's the ambient temperature where you live right now? I had a similar problem that was because of the coolant temperature sensor. However, it doesn't get very cold here in Texas. The code thrown was that the sensor wasn't changing as expected when given power. My car coincidentally started fine after removing the sensor, bringing it inside for measurements, and eventually reinstalling it. However, the CEL would come on. If you're using a V6, it's my understanding it's a little harder to try that part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its been in the 30's all week and on the V6 it is harder to get to. I might try to get to that and change it before it goes to the shop. Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity how/why would the coolant temp sensor cause the car to not start?

8,184 Posts
beef1020 said:
Its been in the 30's all week and on the V6 it is harder to get to. I might try to get to that and change it before it goes to the shop. Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity how/why would the coolant temp sensor cause the car to not start?
Could be it to 20 mins of work and a 5 dollar part????? It does not let your car run too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts