Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to begin......

About 900 miles ago, I got my oil changed at a local shop, I usually do it but didnt have time before I had to make an emergency trip right out of state. Well about two weeks later (today) I let my wife drive it so she could take my son to an appointment and she noticed my oil light come on. She didnt stop right away (drove about 3 miles) because where i live she had no where to pull over since its only a two lane road covered with 4 inches of snow and no space to pull off.

Well When i got home from work I popped the hood and noticed a ton of oil everywhere, so I laid in the snow to realise my damn drain plug was missing :mad: :banghead:

Do I blame the shop even though it took two weeks to come off, or do i just punch myself in the teeth for taking it to a supposed reputable shop in town?

I wish my wife couldve pulled over, but with my son in the car and it being dangerous out, she didnt have much of a choice.

Car only has 102,4++ on it, its my baby :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sorry about what happened. I would have a heart to heart with the shop. Offer easy route (they pay) but be prepared for 100% denial. GL :beer::beer:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
This is by no means a professional opinion and how I'd go about it on my own.

First, relax.
Second, take pictures for proof.
Third, go to the shop and see what they will offer to do about it. The first thing you're gonna wanna do is put complete blame on them, remember when you negotiate to put yourselves in their shoes and think about what you would do if you were them (realistically.)
Fourth, if they don't honor anything, put a drain plug back on, and refill with oil. It could be completely fine. If it were me, I'd turn it over and see if all was well anyway because whatever damage is done... is done. Sometimes the damage is immediate, sometimes you'd be pleasantly surprised at how long it can make it.

GL

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my non-expert-at-all opinion, 3 miles isn't that far. I sympathize, I had a shop forget to put the FILLER cap on once on a Ford Tempo! You want to see oil everywhere...LOL! They did give me a new cap and refill it with oil.
In my experience in retail sales and managing restaurants, I was always much more receptive to being nice and helping the folks that were nice to me. Be calm, be cool, be nice, but I would insist they recognize their fault.
The worst they can do is deny it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts