Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a passat where the tensioner exploded and ruined one engine but now the motor is switched and running like a champ.. Now that it is running and my first VW I have a few Questions..

The oil in the manual I believe says 5w-40, on the top of engine it says 5w-30 and at the store you can get a 0w-40 mobile 1 synthetic that specifically says VW on it. I know that the weights and everything isn't very important on most engines but I am just wondering what everyone else does??

Also I have used Dura-lube in my other vehicles and notice a difference and longevity of the engine. Does anyone use this in their VW?

I just want to be smart with this engine as I am already hesitant because one VW Motor got destroyed. Other than that concern it runs beautifully and is a comfy ride!

Thanks Passaters!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You should use synthetic but I wouldnt go with the Mobil 1 0w-40. I used that oil in my mk5 rabbit for its first oil change and by the time I did my next one it was over a quart low because it burned it up that quickly. I dont recommend it to anyone after that. Pentosin is a good synthetic to use and pretty cheap. ECS sells oil kits on their site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts