Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick I need some help!!! A friend of mind broke down on the interstate yesterday and had it towed to a shop, the show said they didn't know what it was but they thought it was the timing belt. They now want $1300 for the repair and I don't think it should cost that much. HELP what 4-cyl does the contour have, and is it an interference engine? If, so then never mind, I will tell him to get a new car. If not, then he needs to take it some place else.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
$1300 would be a reasonable price for a bad broken TB, when it brakes the valves dry hump the piston... most often bending most (if not all) of them ... sometime even damage the piston!!

there is a lot of parts/labor involved in this ... he should be lucky that it wasn't a 1.8T cause that job would quickly turn into $4000

I think he could get a new engine for that price!! or a new car :lol:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Whatnow said:
Quick I need some help!!! A friend of mind broke down on the interstate yesterday and had it towed to a shop, the show said they didn't know what it was but they thought it was the timing belt. They now want $1300 for the repair and I don't think it should cost that much. HELP what 4-cyl does the contour have, and is it an interference engine? If, so then never mind, I will tell him to get a new car. If not, then he needs to take it some place else.
off topic, but how many miles did he have on it?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Whatnow said:
Here is another instance:

http://www.autoforumz.com/ftopic-105510-15.html

^The guy paid $1550 for his, so your price seems in the ball park

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Some more info

What usually happens on the 2.0 is the bearing siezes on the timing belt tensioner ,
the belt then wears the plastic wheel down until it gets loose enough to slip a tooth
or two. This throws off the valve timing. Eventually the teeth shear off of part of
the belt or it breaks,and the camshafts stop moving. The crankshaft keeps moving for a
little while. Any valves held open by the camshafts become intimate with the still
moving pistons.

You are supposed to replace the timing belt every 50K miles or so to prevent this
kind of failure. You probably had a kind of rattling noise coming from the motor at
idle for a while. That was the timing belt slapping the plastic cover between the
camshaft gears. Many people don't notice the noise until it's too late.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts