Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so what would be the choice from all the B5er's?

All fully loaded which would you choose???

a4 1.8t ultrasport-----9-3 Linear--- or----325xi sedan?

The only one I have driven is the 325xi and it was damn fun. I think the a4 is great also and the saab's exterior is awesome as well. I think that I would take the Bimmer, followed by the audi, then the Saab. Boeser's brother just hollared at the 3 and it is pretty damn nice. Jonboy just got the audi, and his is incredible as well. Haven't heard much about the saab besides their bias towards the a4.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
If you can deal w/ Saab ergonomics, then get the 9-3 all the way. Best value of the bunch. The 325xi is a DOG.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
A4 and chip it. :thumbup: I almost bought one before ended buying the Passat. A4 is a very nice car, not roomy though.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I agree with Stealth on the Saab

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
stealthx32 said:
If you can deal w/ Saab ergonomics, then get the 9-3 all the way. Best value of the bunch. The 325xi is a DOG.
saab ergonomics are great. Except for the key, theres nothing else odd about the new ones.

Yes, I love my 9-3SS - and would get one again, in a heartbeat.

BTW - run a search. There have been LOTS of discussions about this lately.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
a saab is a quirky car, they are fun to drive and because GM owns then the financing rates are amazing,i really like the new ones too they seem to be quite nice.the BMW is overpriced a bit in typical bimmer fashion but its a bmw and they keep their resale value quite well, and the are rear drive as god meant real enthusiast cars to be :wink: , the A4 is my favorite of the bunch caus it performs well and does everything as it is suppose to yet it does it looking like a piece of art, its amazing how well balanced the car is :thumbup:

my order:
A4
Bimmer
Saab
:p

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
TDIBUGMAN: The GIANT console doesn't bother you with a half million buttons? Haha...well I know it doesn't bother you, but it still is very unique to Saabs in general (bar the 9-2X).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I love the look of the new saabs, with bigger wheels and all. They are more unique than the other two, not seen as much, I dont know what the tuning market is on one if you bought one though.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd go with the BMW of the choices above. But honestly, a TL or G35x is a better all around choice than any of the above mentioned cars.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. The car is for my mom, she got the 3 series price to 1k over invoice and will most likely make the purchase. She isn't too keen on the Saab and doesn't care too much about spending another 7k for the 330xi. As for the audi she thinks I am going to weasel my way into it and start tweaking it. So, we might have a little bimmer rallying through my 'hood. It's fine with me! Anymore thoughts? Thanks. She also was taking into consideration the resale value, so BMW is superior in that category.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Audi
Saab
Bmw

The audi is best all around. The BMW is too commonplace. The Saab is gorgeous but it handles like a rowboat compared to the Audi. I drove my Brother-in-laws white 9-3 linear. It was nice. The turbo is nice. It looks good. BUT bone stock it just doesn't handle as well. Great for the highway but lacking on the twisties.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Audi
Pros: beautiful interior, excellent mod potential with the 1.8T, the multitronic CVT option is awesome (if you can do without the quattro), Quattro (if you could do without the multitronic).
Cons: VW-like service, limited leg room in the back.

Saab
Pros: excellent value, you could get a good discount and financing these days, nice sleek styling (especially in black and with the Aero package).
Cons: poor resale value, boring dated interior.

BMW
Pros: excellent handling, prestegious nameplate.
Cons: cramped interior, dated styling especially the interior, lengthy list of options which could drive the base price through the roof, soon to be redesigned.

I'd say it's a toss up between the Saab and the Audi.

·
Registered
124 Posts
can i put my vote in for a saab 9-2?? :)

i realize its not on your list, and only comes in wagon form, and its not really a saab (its a wrx wagon) but it should fit your criteria otherwise :)

i assume the criteria was:

awd
decent power
leather seats? (made that one up)

honestly, when it comes out, i'd watch for possible good lease rates on it, maybe not right away, but unless it sells like hotcakes, they'll run good deals on it. I'd actually consider leasing one now, since i don't drive nearly as much any more.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
24 Participants
sammyb
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing