Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Autometer Oil temp guage around a year ago, and i ussually run about 200-210. ON hotter days it an get a s high as 230 when i get the rpm's up a bit. Lately iv'e been averaging about 215, or so. Though the temp outside has been a bit warmer (ok alot warmer, around 100), so i guess it makes sence that the oil temp be alitle higher. But i'm curious to what teps you guys are running. My dad has a VDO oil temp gauge in his TT, and it hardley ever gets above 200. (though his sending unit is in the iol pan, and mine is in the spare plug in the oil filter housing). Not sure if that would matter .
Anyways, let em know what temps you guys have. Hopfully nothings wrong with my engine. :oops:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Any of you know if going to a larger oil filter like the Napa 1333 lowers the temp a noticable amount?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ditto ganseg's question. I run the 1333, but with no oil temp gauge I can't attest to any cooling from the increased oil capacity/surface area.

On a similar note, would one of you with a oil temp gauge please test one of these...

http://www.cool-collar.com/index.htm

I'm kinda skeptical but the concept is valid (increase the surface area to remove heat more efficiently). JC Whipme (I mean Whitney) sells 'em for like $20-$25. Would definitely be worth it to me if it makes even a small measurable difference in oil temperatures.

Matt

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^ The big drawback would be the insulating properties of the plastic cover on the oil filter... perhaps there's a metal object on the oil path that would work better?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feeeed back guys. I toook a drive to the Bay Area today, and the temp outside was 65. Oil temp stayed at about 200. When i got back in my area, outside temp was 82, (i hate where i live!! :p ), and the oil temp went up to about 210, 215. Glad to know i'm not running hottter than normal! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
On one hand a big filter increases the total thermal capacity, but on the other hand, even there is more radiating surface area, the ratio of surface area to volume is smaller with a large filter. A larger filter should be a less efficient radiator.

I would guess the main advantage is that whatever temperature conditions inside the engine are going to gradually harm your oil over time there's an advantage in having more oil to go around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.