Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 b5 GLX 4Motion wagon. I bought it for my wife with 72k on it and it got the CPO coverage on it that will run out in May 07 or 96k which ever comes first.

I'm trying to decide what to do with the car. Do I keep driving it or do we sell it? We like the car and it has been great. Only complaint is that it gets bad mileage. The key to keeping it will come down to $. Basically how much will it cost to drive it another 2 years and run it up to 120k?

Maintanance since owned:
88k Rear brakes
Tranny and differential at 85k
New tires at 75k
Oil Changes every 4-5k

So what commonly need to be done between 88-120k and what will it cost?
Timing belt?
Altenator?
Exhaust?
Brakes?
Coolant Flush?
Brake Flush?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Timing Belt should be your first thing. Do that ASAP.

Since you mentioned bad milage, I'd recommend changing the fuel filter. What kind of milage our you getting? I can easily get over 30 on the highway with my 1.8T. In the city if I shift properly it's usually 25.

Hell I average 22-23 at 100-110 on the highway coming home from work at night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the stories about the timing belt breaking before 105k. Any idea if the bumper to bumper CPO warranty would cover it if it broke while under the warranty?

Mileage is 17 city / 22 highway

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
TB/water pump and thermostat along with a G12 flush. Even if the warranty would cover breakage, if you plan to keep it do you really want a rebuilt engine? Also, it would be masisvely incovenient.
If brake flush hasn't been done in a while, that too.
Bonilla, he's on the 6. Not too effencent in the city. And with AWD, can't imagine HWY would look to good either.
My FWD is like 16-20/26-28 depeneding on how much lead's in my shoe

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I know the stories about the timing belt breaking before 105k. Any idea if the bumper to bumper CPO warranty would cover it if it broke while under the warranty?

Mileage is 17 city / 22 highway
Trust us, you don't want it to break. These are interferance motors so when the timing belt goes, so do the valves and a whole crap load of other engine parts. Even if the warrenty covers it, it's not worth it when it can all be avoided by just getting it changed out.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
i got my timing belt kit done from my indy for 750 totall
Plus a bot more for wp and coolant flush.
Also, while your at it, if the colant tank is no longer see-through, get that changed. Being able to note coolant level at a glace is worth it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
How much does a t-belt change run?
While it is usually a pricey job, there should be more to the question than just cost when you start calling around for quotes. You should get a new Timing Belt, tensioner, and probably water pump while you're at it. You can see if the person you're talking to knows what he's talking about if you ask for a timing belt quote and they automatically offer or include the items I mentioned.

If you find a low quote, make sure you're getting everything you need changed. Just changing the timing belt is not doing it right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a v6? I could see that on a 1.8t, but not a v6.

I called a repair shop the dealer on the timing belt.
$850 vs $1700

Dealer said the timing belt is not covered under the cpo, but if the tensior or water pump causes the problem it is. What are the odds that the belt itself is bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed motors, turbos, IC's, clutches, drive axles, and done brakes, but I don't feel like doing this. Part of it is I don't have time and then when I open up the hood on the Passatt I think they thing looks like a mess and is packaged poorly would be a pit of a job. I don't mind working on my 325i or MR2 Turbo, but working on my wifes car is different.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts