Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm waiting to get my hid's i just purchased from 1.8tabamoura's group buy, and i know theres got to be someone out there from the first batch who's installed the 8000ks on their b5.5.

lets see some pics!!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Bling!

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Why does the 9000K look less blue than the 8000K

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't know. It must be the camera, because here is another pic I took a couple of nights ago:

But believe me guys, the 9000K (as you can see in my first pic on this post) is really blu-ish. And because of the blue color, less road lighting.

Now, before you bash the "ricey" look, let me tell you that when I have the extra $100.00 sitting around, I am going to send off for some new HID bulbs. Probably in the range of 6000K.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Or why not 4100k, which is what HIDs were meant to be at? Anything more and your hurting your lighting performance.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
stealthx32 said:
Or why not 4100k, which is what HIDs were meant to be at? Anything more and your hurting your lighting performance.
I totally agree. Keep it in the 4000-5000K range for best visible light.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SeattleReign said:
I totally agree. Keep it in the 4000-5000K range for best visible light.

This is all true... but the lighting the hid ballasts put out are still substantianly greater than the regular oem halogens. Also its a personal preference to me and others.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Substantial? Its more like a mere 25% increase, versus a 113% increase on a 4100k bulb.

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.

So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.
Not to mention the glare that you'll get on 8000k bulbs in fog.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see that you have done your research... kudos. While I will not argue with you on the 4100k being brighter than the 8000k. I will still say that my 8000 k are substantially brighter than the typical halogen on the road... and seeing that a friend of mine has a s2000 with hids... which I am guessing are 4100k his do not seem all that much brighter to either of us nor to others that have seen both of the lights being on at the same time.

To each their own.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so, if i was to install my 8000k kit and decide i wanted to go to a warmer color, would i be able to just buy different hid bulbs and swap them out?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
boughtpassat said:
I don't know. It must be the camera, because here is another pic I took a couple of nights ago:

But believe me guys, the 9000K (as you can see in my first pic on this post) is really blu-ish. And because of the blue color, less road lighting.

Now, before you bash the "ricey" look, let me tell you that when I have the extra $100.00 sitting around, I am going to send off for some new HID bulbs. Probably in the range of 6000K.
yeah, you're right. on second look, those are really f-in blue.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
eurosnob5.5 said:
so, if i was to install my 8000k kit and decide i wanted to go to a warmer color, would i be able to just buy different hid bulbs and swap them out?
Yes. It would cost you about $200 for a good pair but you could do it.
Eurosnob - If you bought from the GB, maybe they would exchange them for you. It would save you some $$.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so do you have to buy a new wire harness and sh*t if you want to just replace a simple bulb? or can you just pop out the old one and put in the replacement?

the ballasts work regardless of color temp. right?

are all hid bulbs interchangeable with all hid kits??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i guess it stands to reason though, that if you ordered say, an h7 kit, you should be able to get any h7 hid bulb and it would work..right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts