Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to start actually modding the car. Basically the whole thing is stock, except debadged.

Most will say chip, but I've already gotten a few speeding tickets and am not looking for more.

Should I first save up for wheels? Or lower it now and tint it? What do y'all think

·
Registered
310 Posts
Chip, chip, chip. The chip, yes it offers speed, but it also helps gas mileage. Plus, you don't necessarily have to speed, it just offers the opprotunity to do so (I feel like I'm running for President)

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2000 1.8t with 30k miles on it. Tiptronic. Do you guys really think it would look okay if it was lowered on the stock wheels? Seems kinda...ricey to me, and that's the last thing I want my Passat to be mistaken for.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A chip would be a complete waste of money, if you were still running stock wheels and suspension... sure, you might be able to launch it faster, but you'd be floating all over the road. Who wants that?

Jimmy :)

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
if you're moving fast enough already, get the suspension taken care of. learn to handle the power you have. get springs, shocks and if you have change, grab a chas bar or rear sway bar.

you won't regret a chip anyday though.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
suspension modifications are not asthetic...though they can be.

Our cars handle like crap from the factory, and adding more horsepower and torque to that is :crazy:

A new suspension setup will make your car handle 10X better, as is the case with larger diameter wheels...not too large either.

It all depends what you are looking for:
Performance or looks or a combination of the two. Once you decide what you want, then your decision will be much easier

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ryan

Don't listen to any of those guys and their bickering

1. Get the chip (reason if the V6 has 193hp and it has the same so called crappy suspension and brakes that the 1.8t has)

2.Save for the wheels (reason upraded wheel and tires with a higher speed rating AKA grip will still give you an improvement over stock even with the stock suspension.

I think some of the member here are not that logical think thins through and make sure your decision suits your needs. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
send it to me, im pretty good at spending money :lol:

i would lower it and get a rear sway bar and tint, you could do all that for 800 if you install the suspension and sway bar yourself.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Mmm, stubby antenna, lower it (doesn't that improve gas mileage? I read somewhere here it did...), tint (if you're into that), CBAR or rear sway bar, and get a Valentine 1 to stop those tickets!

The pocket it for some nice wheels and tires.

And it won't look ricey or bad with stock wheels and lowering... infact, it makes the wheels look even better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
phantom GLI said:
Ryan

Don't listen to any of those guys and their bickering

1. Get the chip (reason if the V6 has 193hp and it has the same so called crappy suspension and brakes that the 1.8t has)

2.Save for the wheels (reason upraded wheel and tires with a higher speed rating AKA grip will still give you an improvement over stock even with the stock suspension.

I think some of the member here are not that logical think thins through and make sure your decision suits your needs. :crazy:
Uuuhhhmmm... did you READ his post?
He said that he didn't want a chip... he wants to know if he should save for wheels, or go ahead with suspension.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to go ahead with the tint, and then decide either wheels or suspension. I know once I get new wheels suspension is a must. We'll see how much jack I got left.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.