Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a certified pre-owned 2000 Passat at 74,600 miles, and it's about time for the 80,000 mile service. It's a big one, the dealership said it would cost over $400. But then i started wondering, the certified pre-owned vehicles go through a pretty rigorous inspection. Is it possible that most of what would be done at the 80,000 mile service was done in this inspection, just 5,000 miles ago? Anyone know anythig about this? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
VW? You are funny! :D I would think that if they did the 80k service, it would be in their computer...and, even if it were, I wonder if they would tell you :suspicio:

·
Registered
264 Posts
The 120 point inspection, as far as inspecting the vehicle, is similar to a 40M or 80M service. However, there are certain maintenance items that might not have been changed such as spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, brake pads, timing belt (which is the most important) etc.

You can check these yourself or have the dealer tell you what was and was not changed. When I purchased my certified Passat it had 43M and it had new tires and brake pads, however, spark plugs and all filters were not changed and I had to do those myself.

From there, you can ask your dealer to service the maintenance items that are necessary to complete the 80M service. It is certainly pointless to do have the tech check all the components of the car if it was done 5M miles ago. That is a waste of labor. You might think about getting your timing belt done as well. Ill bet you that the timing belt has not been changed at that milage.

My concern, however, would be with VW of America. They just look for ways to deny folkds warranty coverage based on maintenance records. I dont know if VW would accept this as a 80M service.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would also add getting the timing belt replacement done to your list. Since you are not the original owner the belt is no longer covered under warranty and most people suggest this be replaced around 75K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts