Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like others, I had code P0431 come up (see this post.) and the dealer replaced the coolant temp sensor. The CEL came back on a few days later so I took it back in.

They ordered parts last week and we took it in on Friday morning. They ended up replacing BOTH catalytic converters and 3 O2 sensors. It was supposed to be finished by the time they closed, but what they thought was a two hour job ended up being an eight hour job!! The tech who did the job told me that part of the subframe needed to be dropped to get to the cats on the V6....he basically told me it was a real PITA and VW was dead wrong on their estimated time for this job.

Anyway, the total parts came to just under $3500 (Around $1400/cat+ O2 sensors). Figure 8 hours of labor, according to the dealership. I'm the second owner with 78K on the clock, so what was my cost? Nothing. That's right. Zero. Zip. Nada. I thought that at the very least they'd make me pay for the O2 sensors since only the cats are covered under the federal emissions warranty at this milage, but they didn't. And I'm not complaining!! They did, however, take me for a ride on the coolant temp sensor, which didn't even fix the problem, but I'm not going to complain about that either.

We'll see if all the work they did eliminates the CEL or not...we picked the car up today and so far so good.

At any rate, I hope no one ever needs to get this job done on a V6 outside warranty because it looks pretty darn expensive.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Almost sounds like it would have been cheaper to go with aftermarket cats and upgrade to a highflow system.

Glad that they didnt charge you anything for it, other then the coolant sensor. Hopefully that corrects your issues that you were having.

Steve

·
Registered
914 Posts
damn 8 hours?!?! my buddy and i did a whole complete exhaust system on my V6 in 5 hours........we didn't need to drop any sub frame.........but atleast you didn't pay for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vwpassatboy said:
damn 8 hours?!?! my buddy and i did a whole complete exhaust system on my V6 in 5 hours........we didn't need to drop any sub frame.........but atleast you didn't pay for it.
Yeah, seemed a little extreme to me too...all I can figure is that the 8 hours included cooling off time...seems fine so far....no CEL yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts