Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I am the only one, but up until 7:58 PM CST I was unaware that the Phaeton had a $70,000.00 base sticker and was well equipped at $88,000.00. I had no idea it was trying to directly compete with the BMW 745 and the A8. I also didn't realize how big it was. I remember reading it was built on a Bentley chassis, but you really have to see it to understand its mass. You can lean over and press your weight on the side of the car and it barely moves.

Needless to say I had to test drive it.... And even though the streets were dark and wet from the annoying drizzle.... The white beast is pretty damn impressive. I am not sure if the masses will see the value in the Phaeton, but I could see myself buying one if I could justify a bit more per month for a lease. I can't even imagine how much fun the 12 cylinder version is.

Well anyway... Thats my 2¢. Talk amongst yourselves... -=R=-

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
you must have been sleeping for a couple of years :crazy:

Good Morning :p

about 400 have sold in the past 2.5 months... not quite up to the 5000 per year vw projected.

i dont really like the car, but it's a steal for that price.

i'd take an a8 w/ regular grill please

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It is really a very nice luxury car and well worth it for $70-80K but I am not buying one. I rode one in Wolfsburg and very comparable to the ride of an S500 if not better. Lots of gadgetry and gimmicks which means more to break.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Obviously Van Winkle missed the 24 hour Phaeton Test Drive.

If you would drive one, than you would know it worth the money.
And I think you are talking about the W12 base price. My understanding is the V8 is less.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
The Phaeton is supposed to be a direct competitor to the Mercedes S500/S600 (luxury touring), while the A8 is supposed to square off with the BMW 745/760iL (luxury sport). So the Phaeton and A8 brothers are not taking sales away from each other.

Though it may seem the Phaeton is outrageously priced ($70-100,000), it undercuts the likes of the Mercedes and BMW, and the design, quality and finish is a piece of art which are far superior than their competitors. Many of the parts and components of the Phaeton are handmade/assembled in the new state of the art glass factory. Buyers of high end luxury cars want prestige and image, and unfortunately VW is still associated with fun, youthful and economical cars (think Golf, Jetta, Beetle) -- buyers in this high price range tends to be car snobs.
If the Phaeton had an Audi, Lexus, or a Mercedes badge on it it would sell like crazy.

As good as the Phaeton might be, I don't think it's going to be sucessful due to VW's long standing Gen-X mystique and their lack luster customer service, but they prove that they could make cars that could take on Mercedes and BMW.
The Phaeton is definately a big departure for VW and I think they jumped a little ahead of themselves -- a luxury car that's just a step above the Passat ($40-55,000) would be a good starting point, which the Touareg is have great success right now.

·
0 Posts
aowhaus said:
The Phaeton is supposed to be a direct competitor to the Mercedes S500/S600 (luxury touring), while the A8 is supposed to square off with the BMW 745/760iL (luxury sport). So the Phaeton and A8 brothers are not taking sales away from each other.
Hey aowhaus, who do you think the direct competition for the 745/760 is?

You guessed it the s500/s600!, So Technically the A8 and phaeton will share some sales, unfortunatly. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
20vvillian
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing