Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on 8. It's been a while since my last post about carving ice and snow on the US west coast. Since then my W8 carried me, 2 roomies, 3 dogs and a house full of stuff across the United States. It took a beating crossing the country and pulled in for some TLC. More accurately, it DEMANDED attention by pumping oil out of the cam chain tension adjuster. Lots of it.
So out came the engine, transmission and front suspension in a nice big chunk. After digging through manifolds, wires and hoses and finding the culprit, the adjuster wasn't even finger tight. Short version: when your W8 says STOP ENGINE on the dash, it means exactly that.
While it was getting open heart surgery, we took the opportunity to refresh all of its rubber bits and mounts that needed attention. We then spent the following week connecting an estimated 14 million sensors and various whatnots and getting it all buttoned up. Bentley Manuals might be the best $300 ever spent in the history of money. It started right up like nothing happened.
To remind me of the importance of attention to detail, the overlooked and untightened bolts on the driveshaft carrier bearing allowed some slapping around under the car that beat up said bearing and made a shocking and "stop immediately" type of sound. After hunting around unsuccessfully for a few weeks I found 034 Motorsport who overnighted me a shiny new bearing.
Anyway, here we come 200k miles. Here's to a nice long life in the Florida sun... At least until the W8's mediocre gas milage renders it illegal.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Wish I could find a nice W8 6sp wagon that does not have a black or grey interior....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 6 speed would be awesome. I don't hate my automatic, but it's obviously less fun/rare/durable. The 6 speed wagon is the one though. No question.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I did not hate my automatic either, but it does zap a lot of the power and it did not return great mpg. Of course, after the swap, it still does not get great mph at 80mph due to the aerodynamic drag and the 4mo drag. Even in neutral, it has more drag than my 4Mo Tiguan (8sp,Haldex) does in drive. It did make a drastic difference in handling and mpg at lower speeds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seems like every W8 wagon I've seen is always silver... I wanted to find a wagon, but the only one by me was a 6sp and I can't drive it, and it was silver. So I found my PacBlue sedan 4Mo and love everything about it. Your ride looks great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 6 speed is the unicorn, man.
My sister-in-law recently confessed she hates silver cars... and station wagons... Everyone knows that someone that is such a pain in the exhaust that you start to hate what they drive. Hope I wasn't THAT guy for her.
Thanks a lot, my guy. I have no idea why I love this car like I do, but every time the opportunity to sell it comes up, I pass.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I don't care if they hate what I drive, even when I hated them (1987 Taurus Wagon comes to mind). I bought it for a reason, even if it was an appliance.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Say what you will about the Ford sore-ass, The SHO was pretty impressive from back in the day. Especially coming from the beleaguered early 80's low power engines.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
The 1987 was a 3.0 but only had 140hp and not much torque. It was very reliable apart from weak brakes and a leaking water pump in 137K over 17 years. The later 1992? wagon had the 3.8, again 140hp, but about 215 TQ. It only had 2 things fail, the head gaskets (under extended warranty) and the trans. I sold it a year after the trans was rebuilt.
I bought a 91 SHO in 92 and kept it for about 6 years until we got the 92 wagon. It was a blast, but with my wife trying to drive it, 2nd gear was behind the seat. She could reach the pedals and learned how to work the clutch, but there was no way to reach the even numbered gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts