Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Or maybe not. I just spoke with someone on 'tex that installed them and said some components look identical to the KW V1 components and the bump stop even has tiny "KW" printed on it.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
still dont believe the spring rates are even close to what they advertise

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just bit the bullet and ordered new PSS9s.

:jumparound::rockon::rockband::taz::pinkelephant: :barmy:

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
That is surprise.. I have measured KW at much less than 500 in the Spring Rate thread.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
:icon_eek:
I am lol right now at your reponse, but I can't figure it out. Is that good or bad :icon_eek:?
After all the research you've put into building your own solution, I wasn't expecting you to drop it all and buy an off the shelf product. It's a very good off the shelf product, but you buying PSS9's wasn't what I expected to see...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is surprise.. I have measured KW at much less than 500 in the Spring Rate thread.
I started at page one and was reading and reading... there it was on page 10. :) Since I did not buy the KW, ST or DTS kit (the DTS Line kit will become known as an even less expensive version of the V1 on Passatworld, I am pretty sure) then I cannot take them to task on their published rates. I wonder if the rate includes the damper in the calculation. I have no idea how they figured it though, the guy says it's the rate for the spring only and more than likely it is going to be wrong (he is probably saying what he has been told by DTS). He's a nice, helpful guy and doesn't seem to want to mislead people. He is the sole distributor/reseller in the US for this kit and it more than likely uses mostly KW parts. He has a direct line with the engineers - as shown by his response from them regarding the rear progressive rates on the DTS Line. Anyhow, if someone buys them and tests them, their results will come to a head with the DTS specs and who know what will happen. I'd consider that lawsuit worthy if DTS backs the resellers statement, but someone would have to be very pissed off to do something like that. I think the truth is most people don't really care.

Did you manage to experience any nice driving weather while in PA? I was able to carve up some newly repaved twisty undulating back roads on my way up to Mt. Gretna Lake on Sunday. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
After all the research you've put into building your own solution, I wasn't expecting you to drop it all and buy an off the shelf product. It's a very good off the shelf product, but you buying PSS9's wasn't what I expected to see...
Me neither. :)

It basically came down to either buying adjustable rebound (Koni Sports), custom springs with a fixed ride height or spending an extra $100 and getting a comparable spring rate and adjustable compression/rebound/ride height. It seemed like a no-brainer to me. The hardest part was going with Bilstein after reading so many good things about Koni from you guys.

I hope this set up is a lifetime purchase. I plan to run this car for another 150K. Now I will be able to ride around the street with 1.5 drop, then jack it up to the proper height and damping for when I _finally_ take it to an autox event. :thumbup:

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
I am headed there this weekend. No nice drives planned. Just stay for a day, pick up my son and head for Ohio.

The KW springs I measured were on another 4MO that I did an install on. I used the same spring rate calculator on all of the springs I measured, so the rate should be close to the actual. They did have a good balance front to aft and the car did handle great.

Here are the link. The coilover pics are about halfway down. He originally had H+R Sports but dropped it lower with the KW.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159799

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Did you ever finish your 500/575# setup? Impressions?
Nope, been too busy and then went to Austin this past weekend. I should be getting it done this weekend as my trip up there has been canceled.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Did you ever finish your 500/575# setup? Impressions?
Got it in and adjusted to 26"F/26.25"R at the fenders. Ride is a touch stiffer than before but not bad. Front sway on hard turns is cut in half. Suspension movement on highway dips is about half of what is was before.

I could see frost heaves being a real problem with this setup, but we don't have them here. It would be a bit too rough for me as a daily driver if roads here were bad, but luckily they are pretty good. Pot holes are actually fine.

The fronts should actually be 486 and the rears are 575. The car seems better balanced, but I have not had the time or space to push it yet to see how it handles.

There is a slight noise from the front as the springs are about the same size as the upper mount, but are hanging on to the outside of the rubber packing on 1 side. That can be solved with another set of rear packing cut to fit the front mounts, but I will wait and see how it works for now.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Did you adjust the damping on the yellers?

I think you just made your trips to Pennsylvania a bit more interesting. Bring a mouth guard to keep the teeth chattering to a minimum. Who am I to talk about high rates? The springs on my PSS9s are 515f and progressive to 455r and I'm in this state year round. I wonder if natural rate of your 4motion IRS with 575# springs is lower than my twist beam with 455# max springs. Bilstein didn't provide a starting number, but judging by the look of the spring, it hits max rate in about 2" or so. I can press the first coil down a bit with arm strength (which would be compressed under curb weight anyway).

Talking to you about this makes me want IRS. My next car will have it for sure!

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
I tightened the rear Konis to 1.5 turns from 1 (out of 2.75 total). The fronts are now at 1.25 from 1.0 (out of 1.75 total). They don't seem too tight as I don't get the stomach in the throat feeling on dips.

I will probably give it a few months and see if the ride still bugs me. I can feel a lot more of the minor road imperfections, but that is with the car empty. I've run the rear springs before and did not have a problem with the ride once the car is loaded with a light load (60lbs or more). I also have the tires pumped up to 40psi warm (since it does not get below 80 at night, they are always warm). They ride a bit rough at that psi and the last trip to the NorthEast I ended up dropping them to 32 for a better ride.

I would expect the 455 on a twist beam is pretty close to the 575 on the IRS. I am pretty sure the twist beam spring perch is much closer to the axle center where as the IRS is closer to 60% of the travel arc. The front is probably at 70% of the arc.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts