Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this while looking for a video of falken's drift 69 Camaro..

http://hotrodhomepage.com/?p=68

68' Mustang with an RB26 Nissian Skyline motor.

They have a preety heated debate going on on those forums as you will see.

I for one respect the engineering that went in to this, as well as Nissian's RB26, but don't think this should be in an old school Mustang. This would be better in a new 05, or even a fox body, but not a classic muscle car.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It doesn't matter what we think. It's completely up to the person who built this thing. :thumbup: to the builder who has the tallent to make this work.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Well since F&F3 is going to be all drifting i guess it makes sense...it probably has some obscure role in the movie like "the car that people wouldnt expect can drift" then they pop the hood and BAM! an RB :lol:

I personally wouldnt have done it, but like stated above, its the owners car.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kezho said:
It doesn't matter what we think. It's completely up to the person who built this thing. :thumbup: to the builder who has the tallent to make this work.
This doesn't belong to any one person. This like most of the F&F cars, was purpose built for the movie.
Ultimatey your right. It is up to the owner, but there's nothing wrong with people voicing there opinions as long as people are respectful in there coments (unlike the hotrod hompage).

·
Zee German
2,712 Posts
The Supra, like the other cars, belonged to persons who where asked to lend out their cars to the crew. They searched the forums for cars, so pimp your rides ;)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doubleT said:
The Supra, like the other cars, belonged to persons who where asked to lend out their cars to the crew. They searched the forums for cars, so pimp your rides ;)
Like i said, MOST ofthe cars. Actually this was true of the first F&F. The second one with the exception of the Skyline were all made for the movie. (but it was repainted to fit the movie producers liking) And they didn't search the forums,they posted upthat they were looking for cars for the movie and gave a time and place for peeps to be so hollywood could peep them out.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
So I take it you guys would shit down my throat if I told you I was considering a 3.4L turbo V6 from a Pontiac Grand Prix in my 240SX?

Think of an engine like a black box. It weighs a certain amount, has certain dimensions, and puts out a certain amount of power on a specific curve. I could care less if it came from Daewoo or Yugo. As long as its reasonably lightweight, relatively short, and fits in the engine bay, who cares what it is?

The RB, like the 2JZ, isn't the proper motor for any front engined car that's meant to steer decently as far as I'm concerned. Its 300 lbs too heavy and 2 cylinders too long. Granted, it can hold a stupid amount of power...but here...check out your throttle modulation ability here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1392112579292478112

Yes, I have no appreciation for engineering.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stealthx32 said:
So I take it you guys would shit down my throat if I told you I was considering a 3.4L turbo V6 from a Pontiac Grand Prix in my 240SX?

Think of an engine like a black box. It weighs a certain amount, has certain dimensions, and puts out a certain amount of power on a specific curve. I could care less if it came from Daewoo or Yugo. As long as its reasonably lightweight, relatively short, and fits in the engine bay, who cares what it is?

The RB, like the 2JZ, isn't the proper motor for any front engined car that's meant to steer decently as far as I'm concerned. Its 300 lbs too heavy and 2 cylinders too long. Granted, it can hold a stupid amount of power...but here...check out your throttle modulation ability here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1392112579292478112

Yes, I have no appreciation for engineering.
I personally would not have anyproblem with it. Likeothers have said,it would be your car,and your free to do anything you like to it.
But i would be curious as to why the 3.4 would be your engine of choice. I'd think the turbo 6 from a grand national would be a better choice? (excuse me if there the same block, i'm not up to par on my pontiac engines). I'm all for engine swaps that givea significant advantage to there stock conterparts, or comon swaps. Like putting a V-8 in an older 280Z platform. Its a light weight chassis, and has plenty of room for it. And since the engine is placed back in the engine bay, it makes for good weight distribution. Not to long ago, there were a couple of FD RX7's with LS1 corvette motors. A decent priced swap,with better weight distribition than the rotory, and much(and i mean much) better reliability.
In this case with the RB in the mustang, i don't see this making any sence other than "its differnt", whitch is kinda cool, but one of the best things about an old school american muscle car,is that old school american muscle car V-8 rumble. But thats just me.

·
13,138 Posts
doubleT said:
The guy who owned the RX-7 in the first was is (or was since he sold it) the owner of that Laguna Seca Blue Flossman Widebody E46 M3, you know the one with the $9200 HREs...anyway I know he posted up on the G35/350Z forums, probably others as well, looking for cars for F&F3.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
what i am concerned about is the fact that they are making a "F&F3". first one sucked, second was the stupidist thing i have ever seen, 3rd? :puke:

·
13,138 Posts
Dirty Dan said:
what i am concerned about is the fact that they are making a "F&F3". first one sucked, second was the stupidist thing i have ever seen, 3rd? :puke:
But i bet 90% if not more of this Forum will go see it ;) Whether for an enjoyable experience, or just to laugh at the fact that Drift Racing doesnt exist and more or less defeats the whole purpose of drifting :lol:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
5150 Pa55at said:
In this case with the RB in the mustang, i don't see this making any sence other than "its differnt", whitch is kinda cool, but one of the best things about an old school american muscle car,is that old school american muscle car V-8 rumble. But thats just me.
So you can push an insane amount of power? :)

5150 Pa55at said:
But i would be curious as to why the 3.4 would be your engine of choice. I'd think the turbo 6 from a grand national would be a better choice? (excuse me if there the same block, i'm not up to par on my pontiac engines).
This is gonna turn into a big hijack...but availability/cost, mostly. Its an odd engine...known as the LQ1. Its a DOHC derived from a pushrod 3.1L known as the LG8. McLaren developed a turbo version of the LG8 for the Turbo Grand Prix for 89-90 that was dubbed the LG5. In 1991, GM took this block, and threw on 2 heads and 24 valves. Also, since its a close derivative of the LG5, you can run a modified LG5 ECU. Oddly, its actually a 5-cam engine, since the old pushrod camshaft still sits in the center of the block and drives the camshaft sensor, and oil pump iirc. O-ring the block and its reliable to ~400 hp, and revs to 7500-8000 rpm. Its a 60 degree angle, so it should fit somewhat easily. The one issue I might run into is the block is slightly tall...so we'll see how this plays into the overall configuration. 9.25:1 compression should make it pretty healthy off boost. Also, its a non-interference design, so if the timing belt breaks...big whoop.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stealthx32 said:
So you can push an insane amount of power? :)

You can do that with preety much any V-8 engine.New, or old school technology.

stealthx32 said:
This is gonna turn into a big hijack...but availability/cost, mostly. Its an odd engine...known as the LQ1. Its a DOHC derived from a pushrod 3.1L known as the LG8. McLaren developed a turbo version of the LG8 for the Turbo Grand Prix for 89-90 that was dubbed the LG5. In 1991, GM took this block, and threw on 2 heads and 24 valves. Also, since its a close derivative of the LG5, you can run a modified LG5 ECU. Oddly, its actually a 5-cam engine, since the old pushrod camshaft still sits in the center of the block and drives the camshaft sensor, and oil pump iirc. O-ring the block and its reliable to ~400 hp, and revs to 7500-8000 rpm. Its a 60 degree angle, so it should fit somewhat easily. The one issue I might run into is the block is slightly tall...so we'll see how this plays into the overall configuration. 9.25:1 compression should make it pretty healthy off boost. Also, its a non-interference design, so if the timing belt breaks...big whoop.
Nice. Should be an interesting prodject.

But to go back on topic, old school muscle cars rule with V-8 power!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
rollininstyle2004 said:
But i bet 90% if not more of this Forum will go see it ;) Whether for an enjoyable experience, or just to laugh at the fact that Drift Racing doesnt exist and more or less defeats the whole purpose of drifting :lol:
yeah, ill go see it...for comedic puroposes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts