Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently begun rebuilding a '67 Bug that has been sitting in my grandfather's garage for 15 years. I've dropped the engine and transmision. The engine disassembly has gone well--I currently have the case and other parts being checked for cracks at a machine shop. The transmission, however, has been something else entirely. All I want to do is trade it in for a rebuilt one--it has 237k miles on it right now and I figured since I've got the engine out, I might as well get a rebuilt transmission rather than have to drop the engine again in another 15-20k miles. Anyway, I've got the wheel bearings removed and I've been staring into the axle housing on the transmission. The shop manual says "remove the differential side gear lock ring and thrust washer." My question is how do you do this? Is there some special tool or trick to this? I've showed it to a friend of mine who knows everything there is about Ford Broncos and he looked at it didn't have a clue. Any help would be very much appreciated. Sincerely, Kevin.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If the tranny is a swing axle ('67 shold be) then leave the axles and axle tubes on the tranny. The rebuilt tranny will already have these parts on it when you buy it. Swing asles are considered complete from axle tip to axle tip. It is the IRS trannies that you keep the axles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.