Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be a interesting thread to start (and a bit of an intro)...

While this is my first thread, I've lurked on here for a while and have gotten some great info here (many thanks), also not new to the VW/Audi community. In our house we had 3 VW/Audi cars;
2001 Audi A4 Quattro (1.8T, Tiptronic)
2004 Audi A4 Quattro USP (1.8T, 6sp, Franken Turbo, Evolution Sport FMIC, and more)
2005 VW Passat 4Motion, 2.8L Tiptronic.

My daughter has a 2013 Challenger (5.7 Auto - she bought it herself), I tried to talk her into something a bit more practical, but it's what she wanted (and having many V-8 RWD cars in my past I couldn't really argue too much). So for the last two winters, she's had to use her moms Passat on snowy days. Usually not much of an issue, but she wanted something for herself. So instead of getting rid of the Challenger (and losing what she has paid into it so far) we decided to look for a winter beater. She's also wanted to learn how to drive a manual (she's been to intimated to learn on my cars) so we went out looking a winter beater for her.

So this is the point of the thread, we found a 2000 Passat GLS, 2.8, FWD, 5spd that we picked up for $650. It is a one owner car, 196,000 miles. The body is in pretty decent shape (but very dirty), interior a bit worn, and I couldn't get it to start (battery was so dead, couldn't get it to start with my trickle charger in start mode). So took a chance on it for the price. It does need a heater core and another timing belt, but the service record was decent so we took a chance on it.

So here is where we started on the engine (already replaced the battery and cleaned out a pile of leaves/debris out of the battery tray)..

So far (in addition to the battery)
Replaced valve cover gaskets (3 of the 6 cylinders were full of oil) and rear cam covers
New plugs and plug wires
New Accessory belt
Replaced all vacuum lines (I had red silicone line from my car, so used that)
Cleaned air filter (it had a K&N so reused it)
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned throttle body (what a pain to get it off)
and cleaned it up a bit..
So this is what the engine looks like so far.

Next up;
Brakes and fluid (the ones on the car are shot) I have the rotors, just waiting for pads to come in.
Heater Core (not looking forward to this one) and cooling system flush (he was using some regular anti freeze in it, so will flush with distilled water and refill with G12)
General Refresh on the interior and exterior (some paint chips need some attention)
The clutch catches a bit high, but about the same as my 04.. of course a new driver learning may kill it - so may have to figure that into our budget.

We're trying to keep the cost down (so far $525 outside the purchase of the car including the battery). I don't like to skimp on brakes, so paid a little more than I could have - but otherwise trying to keep things reasonable as it will be just a winter car (but she does want heat, imagine that)

If there is interest, I'll post some updates including how she does driving a manual.....

· Registered
942 Posts
Quite nice, Johnwiz. I'm also interested in the car's progress.

The clutch on my '01 GLS has always been high. I'm easy on clutches, and I do my best to ignore it.

What about the timing belt? How many miles on the current one (and the tensioner, and waterpump, and so on)?

· Registered
5,252 Posts
Snazzy... it amazes me how much money people throw away by selling a car for not much more than scrap value because they don't want to put in the trivial work needed so it at least runs. This car would have been worth way more than what you paid if they had bothered to replace the battery. (I know I'd personally never pay much more than scrap for a car that "just needs a battery" since a non-cranking car can have all sorts of other horrible things wrong with it.)

Good luck on teaching her to drive stick with the B5 clutch... if she can master it there without burning it out, she can master one anywhere. I remember reading a Car Talk column once where some guy was very proud that he taught is daughter to drive stick on his 3-month-old New Beetle and how she didn't stall the car once. He was less happy when the clutch gave up the ghost less than two weeks later.

Teach your daughter not to be afraid of stalling, (and practice re-starting quickly) and that early-on, if her shifts seem butter-smooth, it's more likely she's spending too long in the friction point vs. achieving instant mastery of the Passat clutch and throttle modulation.

· Registered
3,103 Posts
Looking good! Amazing what a little tlc and general maintenance can do. Looks like the high pressure power steering hose is starting to leak a bit. Next time your by pick a part you should pick up the two pieces that make up the air intake from the grill to the air box.

The high clutch engagement is quite normal.

· Registered
942 Posts
Teach your daughter not to be afraid of stalling, (and practice re-starting quickly) and that early-on, if her shifts seem butter-smooth, it's more likely she's spending too long in the friction point vs. achieving instant mastery of the Passat clutch and throttle modulation.
I'd amend sirwired's statement to say "...if her shifts seem butter smooth at the beginning, it's because..." Still, you can easily ascertain (by observing the relationship between engine rpm and the car's progress) whether she's slipping the clutch or not. As she gets more practiced, she can aim for and achieve smooth engagement even as she moves the clutch pedal more quickly.

By paying attention to rpms and the car's forward progress, one can shift smoothly, indeed almost undetectably, while still preserving the clutch. We were recently visited by one of my now-in-his late-80s high school teachers, and went out to dinner. As we drove, he (not a mechanical fellow) asked "Does this car have an automatic transmission?" Made me smile.

· Registered
5,252 Posts
I'd amend sirwired's statement to say "...if her shifts seem butter smooth at the beginning, it's because..." Still, you can easily ascertain (by observing the relationship between engine rpm and the car's progress) whether she's slipping the clutch or not. As she gets more practiced, she can aim for and achieve smooth engagement even as she moves the clutch pedal more quickly.
Which is exactly what I said... I said "early-on, if her shifts seem butter-smooth..."

· PassatWorld Elder
8,248 Posts
I'm callin' out that coolant reservoir, looks empty to me.
Other than that, nice work for cheap.
Same story as my '98 GLS. Bought it cheap, looked like hell, ran even worse when I bought it. Now it's the most reliable vehicle in my fleet. :icon_eek:

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great work so far. I'd love to see updates as you go.
Thanks for the interest, we'll post some updates as we go.

What about the timing belt? How many miles on the current one (and the tensioner, and waterpump, and so on)?
They've been done once, but they are due to be done again. The belt doesn't look bad - but I know that's no indication of it's condition. My current thought is to get it on the road and pass inspection, and then do that a little later in the year. I've done both of my 1.8T engines, but haven't done a 2.8 yet. Since it's not going to get a lot of miles on it, until winter (and even then, probably not a whole lot).

Snazzy... it amazes me how much money people throw away by selling a car for not much more than scrap value because they don't want to put in the trivial work needed so it at least runs. This car would have been worth way more than what you paid if they had bothered to replace the battery. (I know I'd personally never pay much more than scrap for a car that "just needs a battery" since a non-cranking car can have all sorts of other horrible things wrong with it.)

Good luck on teaching her to drive stick with the B5 clutch... if she can master it there without burning it out, she can master one anywhere. I remember reading a Car Talk column once where some guy was very proud that he taught is daughter to drive stick on his 3-month-old New Beetle and how she didn't stall the car once. He was less happy when the clutch gave up the ghost less than two weeks later.

Very true on selling/buying a non-running car. It was a bit of risk, but there were no troublesome stored codes, oil wasn't milky and such.. and he just wanted it gone. She's had some seat time in my old Vette ('01) and my A4, when she doesn't think about it.. she does OK, but then she overthinks and does worse. She was also concerned since the car was mine, so hopefully this will help a bit since it's hers. Still my problem if the clutch goes.. LOL

Looking good! Amazing what a little tlc and general maintenance can do. Looks like the high pressure power steering hose is starting to leak a bit. Next time your by pick a part you should pick up the two pieces that make up the air intake from the grill to the air box.

The high clutch engagement is quite normal.
I actually have all the air intake and beauty covers, just didn't put them on them. It was kind of surprising they were all there, and intact.

Since you had to replace the valve cover gaskets, I would add servicing the PCV system to the list of things to do soon.
All of the hoses looked good no cracks or breaks, the PCV is a little different than our '05, but it probably will be worth throwing on a new one.

I'm callin' out that coolant reservoir, looks empty to me.
Other than that, nice work for cheap.
Same story as my '98 GLS. Bought it cheap, looked like hell, ran even worse when I bought it. Now it's the most reliable vehicle in my fleet. :icon_eek:
Actually it's full, but he had some cheap anti freeze in there, and with how dirty it is - you can't even tell.

Was going to try to fix the glove box tonight, had gotten a new latch fairly cheap, but after taking it apart - the actual bars that hold it closed are broken. I guess when the latch broke, instead figuring out how to release them, he just pried it breaking the two bars. So guess I'll have to look for an entire door.

Cleaned up the paint a bit, and cleaned and lubed the sunroof (surprised it opened pretty smoothly)

Thanks again for the interest and some tips.

· Registered
147 Posts
Was going to try to fix the glove box tonight, had gotten a new latch fairly cheap, but after taking it apart - the actual bars that hold it closed are broken. I guess when the latch broke, instead figuring out how to release them, he just pried it breaking the two bars. So guess I'll have to look for an entire door.
You can find a nice glove box at a junk yard. the entire box is only seated with a few screws

· PassatWorld Elder
8,248 Posts
Don't know what interior color you have but I just threw a complete glove box in the trash this last weekend.
Damn the luck.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Very nice. That is what I want to do when I have time. Buy a Passat dirt cheap and resurrect it. Also, did you try to reverse flush the heater core? I did not have heat on my 98 1.8t. But, then I did flush the core and now it has factory heat. Mixing different coolant certainly clogs it up.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So here is the latest update (wife and I were in New Orleans last weekend, so no work on the car).

Here is a shot of the beater after we washed and cleaned it up a bit. Not too bad for the price.

Finally had gotten all the brake parts in, so started on those today.
The fronts weren't looking all that great..

And looked even worse when I got them off...

Fortunately I had save the calipers off my A4 when I put the Stoptechs on, and although the carrier was different, the caliper was the same.. and they were still in good shape, so saved the cost of getting some rebuilt ones..
Looking a bit better..

Back calipers were in a bit better shape

so was able to clean them up and reuse them

Surprisingly, none of the caliper bolts, or carrier bolts were difficult to get off - they were all in pretty decent shape and weren't really that bad to break free. I did clean and lubricate all the caliper sliders and bled the brakes.

Next up is fuel filter and oil change. Still need a bit of clean up on the interior but daughter is getting anxious to start driving it, so will probably get it inspected after that - and then tackle the heater core.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All rotors and pads are new, just looking at the rotors on the car - there was no way I was going to try to salvage any of those.

The front calipers were what I used off my A4.

I also ran into an issue bleeding the the passenger side rear brake, couldn't get any thing out of the bleeder - so I removed it and could get fluid through the bleeder hole. First time I'd run into a bad bleeder, so replaced all 4 just to be safe.

About the only issue on the suspension that I could see was the rear bumps stops on the shocks are totally shot. So will have to look at replacing those.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.