Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on my 60K on my 2003...and the end of my warranty... scary :puke:

Here is the list of scheculed maintenance for my 1.8T Manual. Seems like a whole lot of nothing for what they will charge.

I bolded the stuff that I will have the dealer do (I usually change my own oil but want to make sure they do it before the 60K).

What I really want is a good check up on my engine and drivetrain to make sure it is in good working condition. What to do?...

Engine Oil - change
Engine Filter - change
Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level

Wheels - rotate from front to rear
Air Bag System - check function/damage
Battery - check electrolyte level
Engine - check for leaks
Front Axle - check dust seal on ball joints and tie rods; check tie rods

Pollen Filter - replace
Cooling System - check level
Transmission - check for leaks; check oil level
Tires/Spare - check condition
Driveshaft - check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks
Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate
Road Test-check system functions during and after

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was quoted three different prices on this and it will be worth the $$$ to drive to Houston. The only problem is that I'm going to Houston tomorrow and they couldn't fit me in so I will have to make another trip next weekend:

Hewlett - Round Rock, TX ~ 5 miles
~$300 for service shown above

Automax - Killeen, TX ~ 50 miles
~$200 for service shown above

Advantage - Houston ~ 130 miles
$115 for full 60K service

·
Registered
547 Posts
You are right. It is a whole lotta nothing. :crazy: What are the odds that they even due 1/3 of what is on the list. Being that I bought mine used, my warranty ran out at 50K so I have a local shop do all my work. They changed the oil, rotated the tires and checked the brakes, belts and fluid.

80K is the big one, so save your money now. Just do the bare minimum. It sounds like you'll be there soon enough anyway! :shock:

You may want to have your radiator flushed. I just did mine (a suggestion from JonBoy - Thanks!). It was pretty dirty.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Waste of money. It's an oil change and a quick look over. Change your oil and your trans/axle fluid.
Flush the brake fluid too. I would change the timing belt and flush the coolant.
Get a free safety check at Firestone. They may try to sell something you don't need,but so may the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've seen this service advertised at the dealer. They get a couple hundred easy for this. A whole bunch of fluid checks that would take no more than 20 minutes in total.

For what they charge for this service, they need to replace the timing belt, tensioner and water pump. This what really needs to be done at 60K. Instead they want to check fluids you would already know about if they were low. Our cars have built in idiot lights for low washer, coolant, and other fluids. They even tell you when your brake pads are low. Why pay all this money to have them check stuff you can easily check yourself. I refuse to pay for such service.

You really end up paying several hundred dollars and all you really get is an oil and filter change. Excuse me, I forgot the pollen filter. That just insults me.

Just my $.02.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.