Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if I should complain and trust them to put it on again the right way, or just do it myself. The one side of the pan isn't tucked under the bumper and the screws in the wheel wells are missing. I knew I should've keep doing the oil changes myself! It seems secure and will probaly be OK as is. Just wondering if this is normal practice? Also, it seems that they cut a portion of the pan off on either side of it. The $60 charge was bad enough, then to learn this - freaking frustrating :mad: .

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Ahhhhh, the belly pan blues. A common problem to say the least. I learned to be pushy enought to go into the garage where it's done and check my pan before they drop the car. BTW, Where the heck did you take it that charged you $60? :eek: Is it a car spa or something? :poke:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
After fighting through this problem with 4 different shops I decided that, in general, mechanics just don't care enough to do the job right. It didn't matter for me if I went to a quickie oil change place, an indy shop, or to the dealership. Invariably I had to replace a fastener or two that was lost or forgotten. I even purchased a few spare fasteners of each type to have on-hand for when they did it wrong. It is frustrating because it really isn't all that hard to install the belly pan; it takes me about 2 minutes.

My solution was to buy an oil evacuator and do my own oil changes. It certainly isn't convenient, but when the job is done I know I have the correct amount of oil in the car and that the belly pan is not flapping in the breeze.

Be sure to replace those fasterners in the wheel wells. Without them the wheel well liner gets blown rearward and rubs against the tire creating a hole in the liner.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I think hit may have to do with the fact, as mentioned by Sharky in another thread, that the oil change guy is not high on the food chain and the Passat is the only car he works on, save for maybe the T'reg, that has a belly pan it. While it is not excusable, it may be an explanation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trlyka said:
BTW, Where the heck did you take it that charged you $60? :eek: Is it a car spa or something? :poke:
I know - even one of their salesmen said it was robbery. I asked the service guy why $60 for an oil change. His response was that they check and top off all fluids and do a safety check on the car. Whatever........ I will be doing my own oil changes from now on.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
PiLL said:
trlyka said:
BTW, Where the heck did you take it that charged you $60? :eek: Is it a car spa or something? :poke:
I know - even one of their salesmen said it was robbery. I asked the service guy why $60 for an oil change. His response was that they check and top off all fluids and do a safety check on the car. Whatever........ I will be doing my own oil changes from now on.
I think my dealer charges about $4.00 for that extra fluid check and top-off. Looks like you are a prime candidate for an oil extractor (if you're driving the 1.8T).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Altair 4 said:
PiLL said:
trlyka said:
I think my dealer charges about $4.00 for that extra fluid check and top-off. Looks like you are a prime candidate for an oil extractor (if you're driving the 1.8T).
I payed 15$ for an oil change, tire rotation and they also checked the fluids. It wasnt at VW but i thought it was pretty cheap. After about 2 days there was a wired noise and so i stoped to check wat it was, it was the pan that was loose so i got some nuts to get it fixed temporarily. Its still taht way and i gotta buy the proper screws from ECS. I am gonna go to the same place to do the alignment and I am gonna tell them, you crewed up my pan lets see wat they say!

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Like I have said before .. Take the Service manager for a walk around.

Identify every current scratch and dent ( if there is any ) , all added mods ( in case they go missing ) , the lack of dirty hand prints on the interior and mention that you know the belly pan is an issue ..

Since I started doing this .. problems seem to have vanished.

I think whe service manager goes out and speakes to the minimum wage food chain guy.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't think that $60 for an oil change is robbery. You have to use synthetic and at $5 a quart, you're looking at $25. Filter is $10. Labor is .3hrs = $20. That's about $55.

It does suck that they can't put the belly pan on properly.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Trekie said:
I don't think that $60 for an oil change is robbery. You have to use synthetic and at $5 a quart, you're looking at $25. Filter is $10. Labor is .3hrs = $20. That's about $55.

It does suck that they can't put the belly pan on properly.
I re-read PiLL's original post...he doesn't mention whether they used synth or not. I'd hope so! I think the dealers charge around $7 a quart for synth, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.