Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've searched as many posts as I can to try to figure out what I should do at the 60,000 mile service on my '03 V6 Passat, and was hoping someone could tell me if I pretty much have everything listed I *should* get done:

-All the items on the 60K maintenance list as well as:

-Change ATF
-Change Transmission Filter
-Brake line flush
-Radiator flush
-Change the fuel filter
-Change the air filter
-Clean the throttle body
-Clean the PCV system

Please let me know if I'm missing anything :confused: . Since I have the V6 I was going to wait till 75K for the timing belt.

Thanks all!
Ken

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
"Timing belt and tensioner" should be the first thing on that list, in bold, and about twice the font size as everything else. Just because you have the V6, that doesn't mean your engine won't kill itself if the belt breaks. If you're going to get it done eventually anyway, get it done now while you're sure it's still safe, so you can see how badly worn the belt is by now. Then you can gauge whether you really need to get it done again at 120,000.

8,184 Posts
"Timing belt and tensioner" should be the first thing on that list, in bold, and about twice the font size as everything else. Just because you have the V6, that doesn't mean your engine won't kill itself if the belt breaks. If you're going to get it done eventually anyway, get it done now while you're sure it's still safe, so you can see how badly worn the belt is by now. Then you can gauge whether you really need to get it done again at 120,000.

No hes good he has a 03 if it was a B5 I would tell him to do so due to age...but no worries that TB will last 75 cake:thumbup: The only reason the TB was an iusse with 1.8T was the ten went bad thats all nothing to do with the qualty of the belts

·
Registered
64 Posts
My V6 B5 had less than 72,000 miles when the TB broke and bent valves in both heads. Sure the belt was older but the miles were low. Why risk it for 15,000 more miles? As deusexaethera says, you're going to do it anyway so do it early and don't risk a major repair bill.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
My V6 B5 had less than 72,000 miles when the TB broke and bent valves in both heads. Sure the belt was older but the miles were low. Why risk it for 15,000 more miles? As deusexaethera says, you're going to do it anyway so do it early and don't risk a major repair bill.
like you said b5.
b5.5's have the better tensioners.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I have not noticed any difference between B5 and B5.5 V6 tensioners. I have changed 6 this year, they are all the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,

I've searched as many posts as I can to try to figure out what I should do at the 60,000 mile service on my '03 V6 Passat, and was hoping someone could tell me if I pretty much have everything listed I *should* get done:

-All the items on the 60K maintenance list as well as:

-Change ATF

Ken
Why are you changing the ATF? Maintenance schedule doesn't call for it. I ask because my independent VW mechanic says that the ATF has a lifetime application and not to touch it unless a leak develops.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Why are you changing the ATF? Maintenance schedule doesn't call for it. I ask because my independent VW mechanic says that the ATF has a lifetime application and not to touch it unless a leak develops.
And if you believe that, I got a nice bridge to sell you.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
PZ...

You sound like you might be a mechanic. What is the VW recommended mileage for ATF change?
I used to be, but that was over 20 years ago. VW does not recommend changing the ATF fluid, but it has a 3 year shelf life. 60K is a pretty good schedule to follow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts