Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am a noob 99 b5 owner, but i jsut wanted to know if the jetta and passat use the same 5 spd tranny? If so i wanted to know if a 6 speed tranny from a jetta gti would fit.. and if so do you think it would offer signifigant 1/4 mile differance.

And one more question, if it were up to you guys would you purchase a 2006 v6 passat or just mod the 1.8 i have. I am interested in autocross so i would like a bit more umphhh under the hood! Thanks yall

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
As Boris illustrated, the 6sp out of the transverse A-chassis cars does not mate to any of the longitudinal engines in the B's. There is a 6sp transmission for European and central-Asian cars, but you would have to import it from overseas. I've not got any information on ratios or such other than having seen the part numbers in the ETKA catalog.

And next time wait a little longer than 14 minutes for a reply. :wink:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Passat W8 has a six speed manual. Why not look at that as a starting point?

TGH

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You said that you have 99 this is not a 6speed that can fit your car all the audi 6speed tranny that exist are for the quattro (4motion) application VWOA never bothered to offer the 6speed in the FWD application It may be a possibility to build a 6speed depending on how similar the case design and components are between the AWD and the FWD tranny.

·
Registered
490 Posts
As far as autocrossing, my take on that is that you are better off moding a 1.8 than going to a v6. The heavier engine makes handling more of a challenge and the 1.8 has a lot easier power increasing potential. Good luck

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
If you're really serious about it, I'd bet just about anything that you could swap in the 6spd out of a boxster into a FWD with no more than the usual swap pains, but it would still be pretty expensive (just sourcing the box will set you back a few limbs).

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
You said that you have 99 this is not a 6speed that can fit your car all the audi 6speed tranny that exist are for the quattro (4motion) application VWOA never bothered to offer the 6speed in the FWD application It may be a possibility to build a 6speed depending on how similar the case design and components are between the AWD and the FWD tranny.
you would have to fabricate the end case to fit the longer man shaft and except for that you should be able to fit it in the stock 5-speed case. there were a few kits available for other VW applications and thats what they did, simply changed themain shaft for a longer one with a 6 th gear, added lenght end case, and new shift linkage, now with our setup with the reverse in the position where the 6th should be there would be a weird reloation problem, the other vw applications were not as bad as the reverse is beside you 1st gear.i think aUTOTECH HAD ONE OF THOSE KITS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.