Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V6 5spd...ever since I got the car, when accelerating and letting off the gas, the shifter would move. Doesn't pop out of gear or anything like that, but you can see it move back and forth in whichever gear its in. I attributed this to bad motor mounts. Replaced all 5 mounts with 034 mounts and it helped A LOT...I no longer SEE the shifter move, but in certain gears if my hand is resting on the shift knob, I can feel the shifter moving back and forth. Anyone know what causes this, or if it is common on these cars? It isn't causing any issues (that I know of), but it does annoy me to a degree.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
if my hand is resting on the shift knob
Not that I've ever heard of it happening, but the owners manual does state in bold print.

Resting your hand on the shifter knob while driving will cause premature wear in the transmission.

Strange the things you remember reading so long ago.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
Heh. I had the habit of resting my hand of the shifter in my MG's and Fiats back in the day. Trying to drive my girlfriends Beetle with the "automatic stick shift" cured me of that.

(For those who don't remember, there was a switch in the shifter that disengaged the pneumatically-operated clutch when you grabbed the handle.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts