Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So there was transmission fluid in the lines going to the radiator… I initially put in 4 quarts then let the car war for a couple of mins. I didn’t let it get up to temp before checking to see if I needed to add more. It was at 90 degrees before I checked to see if I need to add more. And a bunch of fluid came pouring out. I’m pretty sure i have the TC lines up properly. It was a used TC so maybe that was the issue idk. The pump bushing was in great shape so I suspected the tc was good.
here ia the pic of how the tc is mated. View attachment 107159

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,943 Posts
Did you have to pull the TC forward to get the bolts in? If the TC was already touching the flywheel, it might not have engaged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So with the trans and engine separated. I slid the tc back… 3 clicks. Then mounted the trans and engine together, threaded a couple bolts on the bellhousing.
At that point I made sure the tc was still In The same position, looking through the speed sensor hole. Then lined up the flywheeland torque converter. Then put the flywheel bolts in.
what am I missing here.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,943 Posts
I use a prybar through the starter opening. It sounds like it should be in properly. Is there any fluid running through the trans cooler lines ? If not, I would start with confirming the filter seal is in place and tight. Is it possible that the replacement trans has a bad front pump?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’m thinking there is a loss of pressure somewhere if it’s not making it back through the top line. The question is where. I’ll pull the valve body tomorrow. And if that ain’t it. I’ll pull the tranny again. And pull apart the trans to inspect.
thanks for the help brother PZ

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,943 Posts
I haven't pulled apart a trans in 40 years. Could it be the TC was not fully seated and put lateral pressure on the pump?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts