Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in Sipe's thread, but figured some other people might want to check it out. This is by far, my favorite Porsche of all time. If I can remember correctly, its a '56 body (feel free to correct me there, might be a '53), with a 2000 Boxter rear end, a 3.4L modified aircooled 993 Carrera S flat 6 EFI engine, a Boxter 6 speed transmission, Boxter front suspension arms, 993 Twin Turbo brakes, coilovers, sways, and a $80,000+ custom interior (how, don't ask me, once again, I am just going by what the guy told me...). End cost... about $250,000+. It weighs a little more then 2200 pounds, and those are R-compound Yokohama tires.

Can you say tailhappy? If my iPhone had video, I would have recorded what it sounded like. Insanely sexy... Downright insanely sexy, especially since it is aircooled.

Also, all this information was from the owner...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,742 Posts
IDK, the badging is pretty tacky. At least paint the suspension components black and something not as loud as yellow for calipers.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
I don't see how that interior could be 80K unless it's stitched out of John Holmes' foreskin or something.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see how that interior could be 80K unless it's stitched out of John Holmes' foreskin or something.
don't ask me. i thought the whole thing was ridiculous. but ridiculously beautiful as well. apparently the convertible top, the instruments, etc were a pretty penny. if any of you can recognize where the picture was taken... its a very very posh area of Marin County. Im sure you or I could build the thing for about $75,000... But its done by some super duper Porsche restoration place in San Francisco... They did a $500,000 Carrera restoration last year. How you can spend that much, is far beyond my comprehension.

I am just going by what the guy told me. regardless of the cost or the price he paid... its freakin gorgeous in my opinion. I am not much for classics... so this bridges the gap nicely for me. modern convenience with classic lines. but im a youngin...

I did sit in it. The fit and finish is absolutely superb.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
if i had that engine and that suspension and brakes i would go for the bare bones stock sleeper look

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
if any of you can recognize where the picture was taken... its a very very posh area of Marin County.
Posh area of Marin County? As opposed to the Marin County slums where houses only go for $1.1M instead of the average $2.1M? :p

Also, this is a kit car not the real deal (which would be sacrilege as Poohbear said).

Says Intermeccanica right on the back.

http://www.intermeccanica.com/

Still, beautiful and well done vehicle that I would love to own.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The Chewbacca hide seats are hideous.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
he also said much of the work was done in SF, but doesnt look like intermeccanica has a shop in SF... maybe i misunderstood.

the guy was not all that friendly, im not sure he even enjoyed me taking pictures, but he did let me sit in it. I like the seats hahahaha. but now I am doubting that it is 350 horsepower. Looks like now its more like 280-290. was he putting me on? sure sounded sweet... I assumed he would be telling the truth, cause why would a 60 year old guy try to show off to a kid? He did pop the back and it was most definitely a modern flat 6 stuffed in there. Which I believe dont make less then 285hp right?

Well, either way, I thought it was sweet hahahaha

PS. Larkspur is especially posh for Marin IMO. I wouldn't consider San Rafael or Marin City very nice areas. Sausalito or Mill Valley or Larkspur... But hey... I am from Berkeley and Marin so maybe I am just a spoiled brat :thumbup:

I personally think this one looks way cleaner and more original. But... I still like the moderness of the green one. And aren't original Speedsters and Roadsters worth like a couple hundred thousand or more? Of course it is a kit car!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.intermeccanica.com/IM13470.html

i believe this is the exact one I posted, however, it looks like it has BC plates. Might be some slight differences. interior looks a bit different.

there you go. I guess it was a 3.2L on the 993 instead of the 3.4L I thought, engine is from a 1998 Carrera. Boxter S calipers instead of TT calipers. if you look at this from a pure kit point of view, and not a representation of the original, I think it is sweet.

Im sorry but this is sweeeeet

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
dude, that's more than sweet, that is a real man's car!
interior is kind of "eh" with the shag and leather lol

what has me interested is the rear end of the vehicle... that's very interesting to see the IRS with a SECOND sway bar! they had the torsional rigidity beams above it, if i recal correctly. maybe that was just the swingaxle...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweeeeeeeeet!!!! Love it with those wheels. That is awesome to see a 1.8T in there. Sounds like the choices are infinite. Quality looks top notch.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
eh.... 1.8t is vehicular blasphemy...

watercooled engines do not belong in aircooled classics :banghead:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
$250,000K?...and it's worth less than a quarter of that. We need a sucker icon.

No thanks. As pooh said "sacrilege" and it gets no props from me.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
You guys aren't gettin' this whole kit car thing are you? They're not doing anything to real 356's.
I understand it's a kit - I'm just not a fan. What I don't get is the $250K price tag. That is stupid - especially for a kit. For that, I'd rather have 4 real Concours quality 356's instead...or better yet, one Concours 356, a 997 GT3, and a new Boxster S. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand it's a kit - I'm just not a fan. What I don't get is the $250K price tag. That is stupid - especially for a kit. For that, I'd rather have 4 real Concours quality 356's instead...or better yet, one Concours 356, a 997 GT3, and a new Boxster S. :)
Hey, I am going by what the guy told me. The normal kits with the carbureted engines are like $65,000 or more. Add in the modern 3.2L flat 6, the engine management, the Porsche brakes, the coilover suspension, that wonderful or hideous interior, 2 sets of Porsche wheels, etc etc... Seems more to me like $150,000. But... what do I know? I am just going by what he said. It is the nicest one they have made pretty much. All the others look more original, are more similar to the original, and are a quarter or a little more of the price. I don't think anyone is arguing that it was money well spent. For $250,000... I'd put 2 down payments on 2 houses and use the rest for mortgage payments until the market gets better. Then... I'd buy an RS4 and pocket the rest... I just thought the car was cool, since they normally have little flat 4s and this one has an EFI 300hp flat 6 from a Carrera. Roadsters and Speedsters are sweet, but an original is way to much.

Keep flaming away... I actually like the Chewbacca seats too. :lol::crazy::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts