Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the body shop today and for my B5.5 Kamei Grill and U/L eyelids they quoted me $538.92 :nervous:
This seems way to high to me :crazy:

Do you all think that this is a good price to pay for what i am getting done
Here is the line by line:
Body Labor: 2.6hrs @ $36.00/hr
Paint Labor: 7.0hrs @ $36.00/hr
Paint Supplies: 7.0hrs @ $24.00/hr (not sure why they have a time for paint supplies :suspicio: )
Sublet/Misc: $13.00
SUBTOTAL: $526.60
Tax: $12.32
GRAND TOTAL: $538.92

What did everyone else pay for this stuff, it just seems riduculous to pay over $500 worth of labor for ~$300 worth of parts.
In the Votex GB it says liberty will do the whole votex kit for like $3-400 and that is alot more to paint then my little grill and eyelids.
So what should i do, and painting it myself is not an option, so the real question is should i search for another body shop or willl they quote me around the same???
My dad used this place before to get a lower door molding painted after he scuffed a curb and they only charged $140 for that :crazy:
TIA
Jordan

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I paid $200 for all that stuff painted (indigo blue) and it looks great. I even thought that was a little high, but I didn't really want to paint it myself or search around for someplace else.

Is that for installation too? I installed it all myself.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
way too expensive....liberty can paint almost the WHOLE body kit for that price....

no more than 40 bucks for the eyelids (incl. paint)
no more than 150 for the grille (incl. paint)

And since they'll do one can of paint, the total bill should be no more than 200-225. We got my friend's eyelids and kamei grille painted at my body shop for a total 175.00

stay away from that body shop....

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
maybe they're going to spend all their time standing there and watching the paint dry. :lol:

Jordan, no more than 150-200 dollars. These little pieces are cake for any respectable body shop.

ps: Just called my buddy - the grille cost him 80 and the eyelids were 40 (color matched to silverstone grey)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I can't imagine another paint shop quoting that much DAMN. Just out of curiosity why is self painting not an option. These are quite easy parts to paint and the paint should run you like $50 tops. Hell, I should be moving down in that area in like a month and a half. If you want to wait that long I could help you paint them myself. You def should not be paying more than $200 though.
Good Luck :thumbup: :b5:

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank you everyone for confirming that this is a rip off.
MBoyd4MOTION: this is including installation that is the "body labor" part
wst: im guessing body labor means installation
Darth Volkswagen: i know they are easy to paint, but i just would feel more comfortable having a proffesional do it for me.
I am going to go to another shop and get a quote from them, because this is crazy.
Thanx everyone
And if anyone else has what they paid that would be great so right now i am looking to spend maybe $200-250 MAX

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, but install was not the major chunk of the price it was the crazy 7 hours of painting and $168 worth of paint :crazy: :crazy:
Ill see at the second place i go to how much installation is and if it is worth if for them to install it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts