Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 1978 Impala rolled past 500,000 miles late last night, so I figured I'd give the old girl a nice detailing as a present. She's been in the family since new. Looks pretty good for having a half-million miles, if I do say so myself. Pics are from earlier this year when she has ONLY about 498,000 on her. =)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Cool!! Looks to be in pretty good shape to. Must get lots of lovin'.

My 1999 F350 has 135,003 on it. That's 35k since the begining of Oct. :crazy: But since it already has had multiple engine problems/replacement that doesn't really count.

I have friends that drive Impala's and they all seem to last if taken care of.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
500K?? my b5 is crappin out at 63K...heh

Some guy with a jaguar had just rolled over 1,000,000 on his car...i saw it on jay leno a few months back...

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the original 305/2bbl was replaced with a crate new LT1 with Eddelbrock Performer intake & quatrajet at ~450,000 miles (now she's a serious sleeper, I blow 'stangs away every day), the TH350 tranie was given a soft rebuild at ~425,000 miles and at ~475,000 she was stripped to bare metal and given a 7 coat clearcoat paint job in the original camel metalic and long with rechroming of all chrome bits...

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nice cruiser, Dave! Hang on to it...it'll come in handy for hauling home parts for your Passat when it gets up in miles! :poke:

...and I'm not even gonna ask how many times you had to change the timing belt on the LT1, 'cause I already know the answer. :roll:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
In general, chicks dig wagons. However, I am willing to make an exception for that one, Dave! ;););)

Congratulations! What a feat, and considering today's throwaway cars, a complete oddity! Now, would you consider changing the color to something a bit more updated???

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
atomicalex said:
Now, would you consider changing the color to something a bit more updated???
It looks like the same color as the Infiniti FX Liquid Copper color. :thumbup:

Congrats to the 500,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DaddyMatt said:
Nice cruiser, Dave! Hang on to it...it'll come in handy for hauling home parts for your Passat when it gets up in miles! :poke:

...and I'm not even gonna ask how many times you had to change the timing belt on the LT1, 'cause I already know the answer. :roll:
Yeah, the original 305 was still on it's original timing chain, and even with 450,000 miles it has only about 2* of slop in it. Made it hard to tune perfectly, but it was still ruinning good. The 305 ended up in a friends Olds that had a siezed 6 cylinder and is still running (albeit leaking oil badly from the ral main seal). The LT1 has never had any repairs, nothing more than sparkplugs, gas and oil changes...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Does the odometer go up into the hundred thousands? If so I would LOVE to see a pic :)

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately no, it rolls over. I guess you'll just have to trust me that it just rolled over for the 5th time... :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
that is so cool. i love those old "family trucksters". and here i thought i was doing well with 134k on the 99 b5 with no major repairs. nice job!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
nice boat :lol:

j/k

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Average 14mpg = 35,714 gallons of gas X $1.30 average price per gallon = $46,428.57 in gas so far. :D :thumbup:

My dad had a '78 Ford Country Squire wood pannel wagon for years. Finally burned to the ground after my mom drove it to JFK from our old house in Rye, NY w/o coolant in the middle of summer :cry:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nah, she averages around 20 MPH, 15 city, 25 highway... So its 20MPG = 25,000 gallons @ $1.30 = $32,500 in gas alone... :nervous:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts