Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of sticking some a/d/s 345is in the front replacing the OE 6.5 (or whatever it is).

TheZeb.com has a closeout sale on these at $329 vs $650.

Assuming that most of the bass is coming from the rear (either from the stock rear Monsoon or a sub I might add in the future) I can't image that having the smaller mid-bass drivers would make that much difference.. if any.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
aj7360 said:
Thinking of sticking some a/d/s 345is in the front replacing the OE 6.5 (or whatever it is).

TheZeb.com has a closeout sale on these at $329 vs $650.

Assuming that most of the bass is coming from the rear (either from the stock rear Monsoon or a sub I might add in the future) I can't image that having the smaller mid-bass drivers would make that much difference.. if any.

Any thoughts anyone?

And you'd be wrong. The midbass drivers are critial in a good stage and stable image. If you have the builk of your bass producing drivers in the back guess what? The bass will sound like it's coming from the back. Go with the biggest midbass drivers you can fit in the front.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
369 Posts
good advice

Yes!, good advice there, most ppl have horrible to no midbass up front inthere cars, lol. teh more the better, even adding a set of comps in kick panels too wouldnt hurt ;p

I am tryin to decide on a set myself, looking into CDT CL61's at the moment...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Re: good advice

nugglife4me said:
Yes!, good advice there, most ppl have horrible to no midbass up front inthere cars, lol. teh more the better, even adding a set of comps in kick panels too wouldnt hurt ;p

I am tryin to decide on a set myself, looking into CDT CL61's at the moment...
Actually adding a second midbass to the kicks would really hurt the midbass because of the cancellation with the door midbasses. If you had a true mid in the kicks with a midbass in the door you'd be fine though.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
369 Posts
ok,ok, I see your point, bad idea do to cancelation issues, hmm, last implementation I saw was with dual 6.5's BOTH in the doors which works fine, but the door /kickpanel combo looks to not be such a good idea....
:oops:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Having a strong front stage is the most crucial point in any system, and usually the most over looked. Having a true dedicated midbass driver is nice, but not always needed, running 6.5 midrange/bass drivers in the doors is sufficient for most people. If your front stage can play flat down to 60hz or so (lower the better IMO) you can x-over your sub lower meaning you wont get over bareing midbass being played by your sub, thus pulling your sound stage way back and have it sound like everything is coming from behind you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.