Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a moderately loud whine/roar noise coming from somewhere in the driveline. Thought it was the wintertires - but unfortunately it is still there after changing back to summer setup. It is road speed dependent and sounds alot like the aforementioned tire noise. This is a high mileage (220K) 2003 4MO tip that is in good shape otherwise. The front driveshafts seem to have no extra play. I see a small amt of leaked fluid on the heatshield below the end of the center diff. Any suggestions before I start exploratory sleuthing? Appreciate the forum's thoughts....

· PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
You may need to lift the car (on 4 jackstands or a lift) to get underneath and listen to the noise when the car is in gear. Does the sound change when the steering wheel is turned slightly? If so, the wheel bearings might be bad. But with the 4MO, you have to determine if the rear differential, center driveshaft bearing or rear driveshafts are causing the noise.

The center differential seal is a common leak and pretty easy to fix if the exhaust is not too rusted.

· Loose female member
4,687 Posts
I was thinking wheel bearings.
As mentioned, get it off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel bearings.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I will do the "elevated eval" as soon as I get some new jackstands. I was thinking against the wheel bearings since there is absolutely no change in the noise when changing the load on the bearings by turning, braking, accelerating, etc..thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.