Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am up for 40K service and called the stealership to quote me a price. They quoted me around $400 for the service and I was wondering what of the following is easily done by me to drop the price. Most are obvious but how easy are the air/pollen filter to change?

Engine Oil - change
Engine Filter - change
Timing Belt - check
V-belt/Ribbed Belt - check
Spark Plugs - replace
Air Cleaner - replace filter
Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Wheels - rotate from front to rear
Air Bag System - check function/damage
Battery - check electrolyte level
Engine - check for leaks
Pollen Filter - replace
Cooling System - check level
Transmission - check for leaks
Tires/Spare - check condition
Driveshaft - check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks
Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate
Road Test-check system functions during and after
Power Steering - check fluid level
Brake Fluid
Check Automatic Trans. Fluid and Differential for leaks, level; add if necessary
Front Axle - check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods

THanks!
kypassat

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If it is a 1.8T, you will spend ~$100 in parts. You 'could' save some money there by ordering the OE parts from our sponsors here at C :b5:

I will let the others mention what you could easily do yourself.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Honestly, the dealership only makes it's money on parts. What I would do is purchase a 40K Maintenance Kit from ECSTuning which includes all of your filters, plugs, and oil. VW gets real funky with DIY work at major service intervals, so I just provide the dealership parts and let them perform the labor.

A Vortexer had problems with his powertrain warranty because he performed most of his oil-changes and couldn't provide information about 1 service interval. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
About those kits, will all dealerships do the work with your parts? Or can they deny it, and then force you to go elsewhere?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
gig103 said:
About those kits, will all dealerships do the work with your parts? Or can they deny it, and then force you to go elsewhere?
I can't speak on all VW Dealerships but most will not give you any hassle. Another great place to buy VW OEM parts is LibertyVW, and they give a 20% Discount to ClubB5ers. I used them for my W8's 40K Service last week and saved over $200.00 in parts. You would be shocked at how much some dealerships charge for spark-plugs! $23.00 at my local dealership, compared to 13.00 at LibertyVW..

May the Lord above bless Brother Blownaway!! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
The cabin filter is extremely easy to change - much easier than the engine filter. Basically you need to pull up the plastic battery cover from the passenger side towards the center (make sure you pull out the weather stripping in front of the battery cover first). You should be able to see the filter at this point. There is a clip holding the filter in place - just pull this clip straight up. Once you have done this you can take out the old filter and replace (note the direction of air flow on the new filter..needs to go from top to bottom).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called up Liberty and got the parts (plugs and both filters) for $84 and change not including shipping. Stealership wanted to charge almost $180 clams for all the parts. Thanks to Liberty!!!

kypassat

:thumbup:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Kypassat,

What year is your car? If you have a pre-facelift passat and you're the original owner or related to the original owner you have 10/100 powertrain warranty. You should have them document on your invoice that they checked your timing belt. If not and your timing belt goes, they may/will try to deny the warranty claim due to negligence.

Spark plugs, air filter, and cabin filter can all be done yourself. Buy them outside of the dealership and you save significantl money (stealership charges $10 per plug. I prefer to let the stealership do all my oil changes for the simple fact of the 10/100 engine warranty. I supply my own oil and they charge me about $10 -$15 for the oil change. The majority of the list in your original post are checks which are completed in 15 to 30 minutes. I was quoted the same amount as you, however I did my plugs, air and cabin filter myself and the total cost was only $97. So without the oil change they charged me about $80 (about 1 hour worth of labor) for the checks. Paying that 1 hour charge and the timing belt check was worth it in my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
486 Posts
Kypassat,

$84 is still kind of high, but much better. Can you cancel? You should check www.vwparts.com for the filters. I think you can get both filters for around $30 total and then hit Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. for the plugs (about $25 for v6 or $16 for 4cyl). You're looking at about $45 - 60 vs. $84.

Mike

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
mrlvdub said:
Kypassat,

$84 is still kind of high, but much better. Can you cancel? You should check www.vwparts.com for the filters. I think you can get both filters for around $30 total and then hit Pep Boys, Advance Auto, etc. for the plugs (about $25 for v6 or $16 for 4cyl). You're looking at about $45 - 60 vs. $84.

Mike
Listen, stick with LibertyVW or ECSTuning for genuine VW parts. There may be issues when using non VW approved spark plugs in your car if a powertrain issue comes up!! Since you are getting a significant savings from the dealership, don't try to skimp too much or you may get burned in the long run!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The Swami said:
mrlvdub said:
Kypassat,

Mike
Listen, stick with LibertyVW or ECSTuning for genuine VW parts. There may be issues when using non VW approved spark plugs in your car if a powertrain issue comes up!! Since you are getting a significant savings from the dealership, don't try to skimp too much or you may get burned in the long run!
Swami has a good point. My prices, however, are for stock NGK plugs (for a 6cyl) and stock air and cabin filters. The air and cabin filter sold by Impex (www.vwparts.com) are the actual genuine VW parts (listed by part number). I agree not to skimp too much that you lessen the quality of your vehicle or its performance. I am simply recommending genuine parts at lower prices than what he got from Liberty.

Mike

·
Registered
778 Posts
ksdesq said:
This is all good advice. I'm coming up on the 40K in another couple of months. I think I'll
order from Liberty.

Duhh how do u order from liberty?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts