Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 40k service is coming up. What exactly do they do at the stealership :???: Is it worth going to them and having them do it or should I do it myself? If the response is to do it my self, what do I need? (part numbers also) Any special tools? I have a 2002 b5.5 turbo TIP Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If you're under warranty I would say get it done at the stealership because if anything goes wrong and you don't have documentation it can come back and bite you in the ass. My 40K is coming up too and I'm probably going to buy all the parts at Liberty and then have the dealership do all the labor hehe..... have fun!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
peppy said:
My 40k service is coming up. What exactly do they do at the stealership :???: Is it worth going to them and having them do it or should I do it myself? If the response is to do it my self, what do I need? (part numbers also) Any special tools? I have a 2002 b5.5 turbo TIP Thanks in advance :thumbup:
You should visit the VW Maintenence Website at:
http://www.vw.com/SP/SchedMaint.jsp?makeCode=PASSAT

This site will inform you on what services are performed by the dealership at your regular intervals. Here's what's done on a 2002 1.8T Passat at 40,000 miles.

Engine Oil - change
Engine Filter - change
Timing Belt - check
V-belt/Ribbed Belt - check
Spark Plugs - replace
Air Cleaner - replace filter
Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Wheels - rotate from front to rear
Air Bag System - check function/damage
Battery - check electrolyte level
Engine - check for leaks
Pollen Filter - replace
Cooling System - check level
Transmission - check for leaks
Tires/Spare - check condition
Driveshaft - check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks
Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate
Road Test-check system functions during and after
Power Steering - check fluid level
Brake Fluid
Check Automatic Trans. Fluid and Differential for leaks, level; add if necessary
Front Axle - check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods

Everyone knows that the dealership makes their money on marking up the price of parts, which is why people buy from online resources. LibertyVW, ECSTuning, Adirondak Auto Parts (GermanAutoParts.com) have excellent prices on replacement components for our VW's. ECSTuning even has maintenence kits which include spark plugs and engine oil. They also have a timing-belt kit which has been a savior for many 1.8T owners. LibertyVW is my favorite vendor for Genuine VW/Audi parts, and I saved over $200.00 using them for my 40K Service on my W8.

I try to keep things simple by providing the dealership with parts and having them perform the labor, but if you go to an independant mechanic be sure that they document all the work they did to your car and they perform all of the services recommended by VW. This will prevent any warranty denial issues for lack of proper service to your VW. If you are in the DC Metro Area the best dealership service IMHO is MartensVW (River Road) and Fitzgerald (Annapolis) and the best indys are Wheaton Service Center (Ga. Ave & University Blvd) and Pro-Imports (Gaithersburg Air Park).

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I just called my dealership, got made fun as usual :p but he told me what I need to buy for the 40K

(1) oil filter
(4) spark plugs
(1) air cleaner filter, don't need it if you have a k&n
(3) cans of brake fluid
(1) thing of fuel additive

HTH!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I let them do everything they need to do, how much are they going to beat me in the head for :weirdo: :nervous: ( trying to get an idea how much longer i need to work the streets tonight) :p :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of spark plugs should I buy :???:
What kind of oil filter should I get :???:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
peppy said:
Bro, where in Maryland are you? I can recommend a good local VW/Audi tuner to have your 40K Service done at a great price.

Have you checked ECS Tuning's Website for information on their maintenance kits?

I tend to stick with Mann or Mahle VW OEM filters. For your spark plugs stick go with NGK's (Part#:pFR6Q).

·
Registered
243 Posts
You might consider having the 40K done at a dealership (don't worry so much about the others). If they check the timing belt, then if it every goes, you have insurance.

They are STICKLERS about this and I've heard of instances where they would NOT cover warranty if THEY did not do it EVEN if you have a receipt from another indy shop.

YMMV. Do a search in the archives, there have been horror stories posted in the past.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
mmmmark said:
You might consider having the 40K done at a dealership (don't worry so much about the others). If they check the timing belt, then if it every goes, you have insurance.

They are STICKLERS about this and I've heard of instances where they would NOT cover warranty if THEY did not do it EVEN if you have a receipt from another indy shop.

YMMV. Do a search in the archives, there have been horror stories posted in the past.
mmmmark, read the posts very carefully! The reason that manufacturers would deny warranty claims is the lack of documentation from an independant mechanic showing that interval services were completed to spec! Whenever you have Scheduled Maintanence done at an independant shop, you must request that on the invoice the mechanic lists all work done to your car! If you have this documentation, you will not have any problems. Most DIYers come into problems by not keeping documentation showing mileage of oil/filter changes and keeping receipts.

Please show a link to a post where someone had a timing belt issue that was checked and documented on an invoice from an indy-shop which wasn't covered by VWoA when it failed under the powertrain warranty. The only time I've seen where VW will hit a driver with the Shimmy-Shimmy-Ya, is when you can't provide adequate documentation that scheduled services were performed. Visit the VW Website or check your owners manual and follow that schedule to the letter!! I keep a small journal and copies of my receipts for any services done to my cars.

Please references the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act if you have any questions concerning this issue. If you are denied warranty work on a failed component and you kept adequate records, then you can file a case with the Federal Trade Commission or your state's Consumer Affairs Department. Things change when you know your rights.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This brings up another question...I bought my car used with 25000 on it. There is no documentation of previous oil changes or any kind of service. IS my warranty pretty much voided :???: :nervous:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Swami said:
peppy said:
Bro, where in Maryland are you? I can recommend a good local VW/Audi tuner to have your 40K Service done at a great price.

Have you checked ECS Tuning's Website for information on their maintenance kits?

I tend to stick with Mann or Mahle VW OEM filters. For your spark plugs stick go with NGK's (Part#:pFR6Q).
I am in Cecil County. close to the Chesapeake Bay :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
peppy said:
This brings up another question...I bought my car used with 25000 on it. There is no documentation of previous oil changes or any kind of service. IS my warranty pretty much voided :???: :nervous:
Whoa, as the 2nd owner I doubt you have warranty on your ride unless the dealership sold you one.

Cecil County??!!! Man, I haven't been down that way in years! Is the drag strip still down there? I remember my friends set me up on a blind date with a woman who lived in Farmington. :wink: Worth every minute of that hour and 45 minute drive from DC.

New German Performance is about 20 minutes away from you in Aberdeen, Md. IMHO they are the absolute best on the East Coast, so you are in very good hands if they do your work.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i didnt get no warranty from them. So I guess its not worth it it even take it to the dealer :???: :(

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I took my car into the dealer today and that had it for about 4 hours. I got charged $315.50 and all i really think they did was change my oil :suspicio: They didnt even have to change my air filter because I have a K&N :roll: One of the other things they were suppose to replace was my pollen filter. I have to find out where it is so I can see if they did. If they didnt, I am going to be pissed because i got charged for it :mad: :evil: Anyway, I asked them about my warranty and they said that I still have one up to 60k :) thanks for your help fellas

P.S.- Where is the pollen filter :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
Guyute
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing