Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a newbie to ClubB5 and was just reading about lowering the 40K tuneup costs by buying OEM parts and having the dealer install them.
I was checking out the ECSTuning webpage for my car (2001, Passat, 1.8T, manual) and don't know which kit I should be buying.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T&model=Passat B5&submodel=FWD&category=Maintenance

How can I determine whether my car's engine code is an AEB, ATW, or AWM?

Thanks very much! This website is such a fantastic resource.
Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
Take the cover off that houses the ignition coils. It's the plastic cover at the center of your engine with the VW emblem on it. Once this is removed, look to the back of the head and there should be a sticker with your engine code on it.

At least that's where mine is.... :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Easiest way is to remove the black plastic head cover (with the VW logo on it, and you will easily see a code stamped on an aluminum flat at the front of the engine in 3/8" tall letters. Almost any of the other guys can tell you what code you have, but that's a way to confirm...just in case.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had a square white sticker thing on the front of the engine block with a bar code on it that you could see without removing anything...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts