Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove 120 miles to get my 40,000 service, paid $500 for the service, drive 120 miles back home, turn on car next day...MIL.

Took it down to local foreign auto joint today and they pulled 16556 P0172 Fuel Trim,Bank1 System too Rich.

What the hell does that mean and what can cause that? Had them reset the light and I guess we'll see. :mad:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
The Bentley manual suggests checking the following things:

Fuel pressure regulator and residual pressure
Check fuel injectors
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister purge regulator valve
Check oxygen sensor and oxygen sensor control before catalytic converter
Check oxygen sensor and oxygen sensor control behind catalytic converter

Although, about 60% of the time, you get the code, erase it, and it doesn't come back... just a temporary hiccup. Best of luck, you may get lucky.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the guy working on my car said it was one of those 5 things.

I'll see if the code stays off. I hope I'm lucky!! :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
i just had the exact thing...had the code cleared and now it came back after a few days..:(

how do i go about checking the sensors?

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
I just got my 1st mil as well, at 33k. I had parked, put the E brake on, then put it in park.
THen when I started the cars hours later, MIL came on. Rides fine, not blinking. Maybe it will go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MIL

I received the MIL in the mid-30k, went to the dealer and found to have something wrong with the catalytic converter. Coincedently, another customer came in with the same problem. It was covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's right, I never thought about the emissions warranty! How long does that go for on a 2001.5?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.