Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My B5 is probably going into the shop this spring for its 40,000 mile service. Does this have to be done at the shop to preserve the warranty? What exactly will be done/checked? How much does it cost? Is it worth it?

I've heard some scary quotes for scheduled maintenance around here.. just curious.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Well, it can go up to about $400 plus lol, but that is thru the Dealership. Look at your cars reference book, it will tell you what they will be doing exactly. It also depends on the motor you have, V6 or 1.8T. Mine is a 1.8T and the main thing at 40.000k was plugs, air/oil filter, and check all the levels, grease door jambs, check for leaks etc... As for the Warranty, if you keep the receipts safe of all you purchased for parts, your warranty still applies. But if you feel better about it, have it done....later...Rah....... :b5: :thumbup:.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Click HERE to find what the scheduled maintenance is.

Here is my experience with the 40K service on my 1.8T - I had it done this week:
Dealer wanted $139 to change spark plugs, $40 for the air filter, $60 for the cabin filter, and $25 for the oil change - would have cost at least $264

I changed my own plugs for $40 (OEM plugs from Advance Auto Parts), upgraded the air filter to a K&N for $50, replaced the cabin filter for $15 (again from Advance Auto Parts) and I already change my own oil which is about $25 (OEM filter and 4 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5w-40). - $130

My total cost at the dealer was $33.25 since I did the majority of it myself. They did all the required checks and scanned for codes and only charged me 1/2 hour of labor. I made sure they wrote "timing belt is good at this time" on the receipt.

They even COMPLEMENTED me on the work I did, plus I saved at least $100.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Make sure you document timing belt check at 40 k. If you don't do that and your timing belts breaks it may not get covered under warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts