Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is all that crap that they do for the service really necessary? I mean 300 bucks that insane! I just got new wheels, so i don't need a rotation, I just put in a new filter so I don't need a new filter. They just fixed my alignment and checked my brakes, so good there. The only thing I'm worried about, are the plugs. But they claim that I can't pick those up at any local stores? What have the rest of you done at 40 K ? I think they're taking me to the cleaners!

1.8T B5.5

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got quoted $385 for the 40K service! :mad: I also had it in for the recall and they told me the rear pads were low and that would be $210! :cry:

I'm having my local guy do everything for a third of what VW would charge! You're going to pay $300 to have them look at the belts and change your plugs!? :crazy:

Have someone else do it and spend the extra money on some mods!!!!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I second the idea of using an independent mechanic. The only thing I would add would be to try to find an indy that specializes in VW/Audi.

Regards,

Kenny

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I did it myself for about $160, including paying $80 to have the dealer perform the timing belt inspection so that would be on the record. Most parts can be found at your local auto parts store...the rest I ordered from www.germanautoparts.com.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I don't remember how much I paid, but it was about 40% less than the estimate. I did the plugs, filters, and something else by myself, and then caused the service writer some consternation when I insisted that the timing belt check had to be recorded on the invoice.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm looking at the same thing but I bet its way more expensive out here. I was quoted somewhere in the $250 range for the 30k service.

Here's what I figure can be done on your own:

Engine Oil-Change
Engine Filter - Change
Windshield Washer Fluid - Check Level
Wheels - rotate from front to rear
Pollen Filter - Replace
OBD - Check DTC memory

All of these parts (and then some) can be found at either Drew Auto, Impex, Adirondack Auto. Remember, there is a CB5 discount at Drew Auto with the coupon "CLUBB5". But I did notice that Impex has very agressive pricing in comparison to our discount.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's cheap. I was quoted $575.00 and that was on the low end (Boardwalk Auto, Redwood City, Ca)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
BTW 30K service is just an oil change, so your dealer is really pulling your leg.

Up to 40K, the car had been very inexpensive, so I took it to the dealer expecting that nothing gets done there for <$300, right? The bill was only $210. Yes! Then I'm sitting a red light looking at the receipt, and it says nothing about plugs or air filter. So I went back, and wound up in an argument with the service manager, who displayed his complete ignorance of 40K service in front of the entire waiting room (6+ other customers). Eventually I wore him down and got him to agree to do the rest of the work for no extra charge above the $210 I already paid (for nothing more than an oil change, as I discovred), then determined he could not correctly identify which are my stock plugs (AEB engine code). At that point, I decided I didn't want that dealer touching the car, EVER again (they'd already scratched it at 35K). So I bought the plugs and filter online through www.germanautoparts.com and finished the 40K work myself.

VW: Worst Service Network 'EVAR'.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just got my 40K service done on my "00 V6 Variant Monday. Cost: $375 from my local indie shop. Only bad news: timwe for new tie rod ends :mad:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
McFly said:
Just got my 40K service done on my "00 V6 Variant Monday. Cost: $375 from my local indie shop. Only bad news: timwe for new tie rod ends :mad:
If you have the 100K powertrain warranty you may want to consider the dealer because of the timing belt "check". An extra $100 may save you thousands down the road. Just try and negotiate a true 40K service per the manual, not the BS 10,000 point inspection with just an oil change.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I've found there's nothing that you can't do in terms of regular maintenance. The timing belt is probably the biggest thing within 100K miles. So far, I've changed, replaced or tested (due to maintenance or otherwise):

Fuel filter
Air filter
Spark Plugs
brake pads, rotors, calipers and final brake lines (and bleeding)
coolant
all intake hoses
DV
check valves
headlamps/bulbs
rear brake lamps/bulbs
front motor mount intercooler
exhaust
turbocharger
FPR
battery
shocks and springs
front control arms
sway bars

Some "special tools" that I can recall off the top of my head were the rear-piston tool, spring compressor, reciprocating saw, torque wrenches and a T-45 torx driver. Everything else you can get in a Craftsman 181pc. mechanics set.

next week: fuel injectors
in the future: thorttle cable

About the ONLY thing the typical person cannot do from a standard maintenance point, is mount and balance new tires. I'm not an exceptional mechanic by any means. My profession is more geek than grease. But I do it because personally, I feel I can do as good a job as long as it has nothing to do with electrical or internal engine parts. (However, if I had a 3rd car for commuting, I'd try.)

Granted, not everybody here has a garage and many don't even have the time or simply have better things to do with their spare time. In which case, yes, get a trusted independent that will do the job with OEM VW parts.

My brother in-law is on retainer in my home :) He's ASE Certified and I believe master mechanic and now works for M-B down here in San Jose after 10 years with Volvo. So if you need a GOOD honest mechanic - email me; he'll even loan you a car while you wait sometimes. He lives in San Mateo right on Kehoe. He's good enough that his old neigbor in Vallejo (some 40-50 miles away) still brings his car to him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts