Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day fellow Passat World B5rs. Been a while since i have been on. Actually a good thing since i have been able to fix or figure out all my last issues. My sons Passat is an 03 with about 115000 on it. Just the other day he was complaining that the trans was not going into reverse fast and sometimes the fwd gears would shutter or shift into gear hard. off to the garage we go. get it on lift change and top off trans fluid and try again. No joy still doing the same thing. I did notice while on the lift running that there was a swooshing noise coming from the trans pan that I have never noticed. After doing some research I was thinking it might be the O-ring on the reverse valve on the valve body? Any Help would be great.I also have pretty much a complete parts car if anyone is looking for a hard to find part hit me up.

·
Registered
27,428 Posts
Is there a CEL light on? Any stored codes or running lean? A bad reading by the MAF can screw up shifting. Was the trans filled while level, cool (no more than 100F) and running? A trans will be nearly 1L low if filled while it's closer to 190F.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
As suggested check fluid level using fill method/checking protocol and any codes, plenty of info on the procedure in PW archives. With that said I have attached a solenoid shift status chart, as you can see with reverse the N88 drops out, this is prompted by the multifunction switch (what engine do you have?) and in conjunction with TCM. The solenoid is working, it actually only is a slave/pilot valve which shifts a much larger valve, the solenoid might be slow, the actual mechanical "master" reverse piston valve might be sticky/slow , however but since you do have reverse ,albeit slow to occur, the actual mechanical shifting of the reverse mechanism internally is good. What year is your parts car and mileage, also auto I assume ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had similar issues with mine. Required a valve body rebuild. Seems to be a fairly common issue with the 01V trans. There are a number of little rubber "accumulators" that eventually fail and it's the leakage from those accumulators that cause the delay as it takes a long time to build pressure. I was able to remove the valve body with the transmission in place, and although it was a pain, I was able to order each individual part from ZF, I forget why I did that, but that's what I did. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but feel free to message me and I can see what other info I can dig out. It's worth doing a broader search since this transmission is used in the Audi line as well, so I think that may be where I found more detailed info.
Good luck.

·
Registered
394 Posts
feel free to message me and I can see what other info I can dig out.
If you have more information please post it here for everyone. I have the same car same miles and rarely I'll get a second delay when I switch to reverse. By rarely I mean like twice in the last year. If that starts happening more often I could end up with a problem like OP has. I'd check fluid levels first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts