Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post pics later. I picked up the W12 at the W Hotel at 49th & Lexington at 9 am Wednesday morning and returned it at 7 pm Thursday evening. What a car. My opinion may seem a bit VW-biased but the S-Class has something to worry about. Fit & finish inside and out are exemplary, especially the interior. Honestly it feels like a Passat but in more of a grand scale. Every button,switch,etc I touch has a solid,permanent feel. The S-Class cupholder feels like it will break off in your hand every time you operate it. If you can't find a comfortable position in the drivers seat you ain't human. The seat heaters are outstanding and the cooling is great too. On #1, the seat heater feels like #3 in my W8 and #2 will flat out set your ass on fire. The leather is outstanding as well, unlike any other I've ever felt. I wanted to get naked... :wink: Handling is great for a 5000 pound vehicle. No it will not win any auto-cross or lateral acceleration championships but it is very stable and I didn't feel like the weight was holding me back although it's size is imposing but easily gotten used to. The W12 feels every bit the 420hp, starting with a nice turbine like whir and settling into a distant mellow bass at idle although I'd like a little more exhaust growl. The dash is great. It's nice to see a voltmeter and an oil temperature guage. The coolant temp guage is at 220 within 5 minutes but it takes about 20 minutes for the 3 gallons of oil to reach 200 degrees <--- that's why you shouldn't beat on your car when the coolant temp is at operating temps people. It takes a lot longer to heat the oil up than it does water... The nav system worked well and the adjustable suspension was a nice toy to play with. The sound system was leaps & bounds ahead of the S-Class Bose system. Gripes ?? A couple. The front suspension seems to take certain impacts with a thud. I think it's a conspiracy between the Michelins,which I took off my W8 in the first week, and the high air presure settings - 42 front - 48 rear. The washer tank on my vehicle had a leak and the steering.... Although very accurate it seems a bit over-boosted at low speeds but that's rectified in Sport suspension settings and at higher speeds. Overall, myself and everyone I drove in it was thoroughly impressed. Passers by and fellow commuters gave stares and thumbs up. All in all, if it were my 85-large, I'd take it over an S500 in a heartbeat. Also, kudos to John Dokes, the Phaeton manager at the W Hotel for allowing me the extra time in the car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I wanted to see what you would say about the car and now that you've had the opportunity to drive one it makes me wish I had the cash for it right now.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had to do it..... :p

Sorry for the delay people.... :p :D

Our car wash guys loved it....

Pollen filters are easy to change...

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indicated 133 mph (governed :cry: )with SoonToBBad and friends aboard and stable as the Bullet Train... ALLEGEDLY :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
Indicated 133 mph (governed :cry: )with SoonToBBad and friends aboard and stable as the Bullet Train... ALLEGEDLY :D
Estimated 260 KM per hour in a SWB W12 in Belgium. No governor… :D had to slow down because my concentration was broken as my cousin began to nag… Nice road heading out of Belgium… :bow:

You wanna talk about a bullet train there spanky... :roll:

·
Registered
571 Posts
We got the 8 up to 140,(Montvale to Skyline Drive run-all concrete)smooth as glass, buy why the difference in top speeds?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts